were you guys ever scared to go WOT on your supra?

Cycoclown

SHAAWING!!!
Jan 18, 2008
Vacaville, CA
www.myspace.com
im scared to do it when it comes time for an oil change. i check my oil every damn morning lol. only when im due for an oil change tho. and im due.

but when everything checks out. ill go WOT for the hell of it once in a blue moon.

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
Well I have'nt had my Supra long, and after all the reading on here about BHG, I am completely paranoid that if I hit it, I will be suffering an immediate explosion worthy of putting in the next action flick lol. I have, however, gone 3/4 throttle with moderate boost showing on the gauge, and the ass of the car was all over place lol. Maybe when I get brave I will tell my family that I'm gonna go WOT my Supra, so if the car explodes and kills me, be sure to have the stupid smile removed from my face before I am placed in the casket.

On second thought....just do it !! It's an excuse to buy more/better parts. It will also be extra inspiration to get up and go to work everyday...that way when you hit it, you know you'll be able to afford it lol.

midnight_mk3

May 22, 2009
Staten Island, Ny
What's the point of having a sports car if your scared to go WOT every once in awhile?:biglaugh: my first experience was a couple days after i bought the car. I took it for a blast around the block. I could barely drive stick back then and had no license i ended up locking myself out of second trying to shift fast lol scared the crap out of my self when the car went into neutral and the rpms shot up. once i got the hang of it i did WOT pulls on the same street every night for atleast the next 2 weeks haha.

89supraowner

Oct 12, 2009
Fort Myers
i went WOT about 8 times yesterday. all original motor, 162k miles. i drive my car hard. since its my daily driver and i have a lead foot. but like somebody else said, i always look at my temp gauge when or after im doing it, even at stoplights im checking to make sure everything is okay and listen for different sounds after wards. a/c still works and everything, never had one problem. but when the time comes, it wont be down for long. since im saving for a 1jz swap.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
WOT has never frightened me. I'm careful as to where I do it, but when I get a nice straight road with nobody around, I just can't help myself.

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Nothing else matters: not the mortgage, not the store, not my team and all their bullshit. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.

Sorry, I had to. Feel free to smack me now.

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
Neodeuccio;1452127 said:
WOT has never frightened me. I'm careful as to where I do it, but when I get a nice straight road with nobody around, I just can't help myself.

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Nothing else matters: not the mortgage, not the store, not my team and all their bullshit. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.

Sorry, I had to. Feel free to smack me now.

SMACK !!!

j/k I thought it was funny. :icon_bigg

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I prefer to go WOT a good couple of times after about 20-30 minutes of driving... just to make sure it's good and strong. If it's going to break, I want it to break close to home.

My old 7M has some phantom problems that pop up every now and then, weird idling problems and such. Going WOT a few times seems to blow out the stink and get it back to normal. I've replaced most of the vacuum hoses, so I'm presuming something is patially clogging some passages.

No big deal.

Anyway, I've never been scared to go WOT, but in the back of my mind, I always wonder when it's going to explode. Not if, when.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
I was paranoid in fear of a BHG when i first got the car. However i am one of the few that never had to go through that ordeal *knock on wood* My dad was like "We are replacing every single cooling component in question" So i guess that contributes to why my car runs good, even at WOT i see my temps drop slightly. Why just last night i was flogging on it :D whats the point of having a Supra if you dont enjoy it. If youre confident in your work, and you maintain the cars, theres no reason why you should be scared.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
p1452317_1.jpg

WOT in ever gear every time I drive the supra since shortly after the day I got it over 14 years ago.:biglaugh:

Okay... perhaps a LITTLE overstated... but not by much!:biglaugh:

I suppose it could BLOW any day... but at over 100k miles, 80k plus my own and nearly ALL of them at upwards of 12~16psi (or MORE sometimes) on a stock bottom end... I'm not shy about taking a stab at the pedal.

Yesterday, I took a guy for a short spin and did a buck-an-a-half for a quick THRUST demo at 17psi... then about flipped the rear spoiler over the front windshield with a stomp on the Wilwood's back down to the double nickel in a couple second BRAKE-TEST!:aigo:

...dude was white knuckle-toe-cramping WEDGED into his seat with eyes bugging out as we coasted along at highway speeds (like a WALK at this point...) after the quick demo ride.

Never thought twice about WOT when the road is clear and the surface is DRY...

...if the roads are WET or MOIST on the other hand...:icon_surp

NOTE: ALL such ALLEGED "demo-runs" are performed on a CLOSED CIRCUIT on my crisptestrack just out back of the tuning shed... and in NO WAY reflect the casual ACTUAL driving habits of crisp on public roads.;)

-crisp

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
crisp;1452317 said:
WOT in ever gear every time I drive the supra since shortly after the day I got it over 14 years ago.:biglaugh:

Okay... perhaps a LITTLE overstated... but not by much!:biglaugh:

I suppose it could BLOW any day... but at over 100k miles, 80k plus my own and nearly ALL of them at upwards of 12~16psi (or MORE sometimes) on a stock bottom end... I'm not shy about taking a stab at the pedal.

Yesterday, I took a guy for a short spin and did a buck-an-a-half for a quick THRUST demo at 17psi... then about flipped the rear spoiler over the front windshield with a stomp on the Wilwood's back down to the double nickel in a couple second BRAKE-TEST!:aigo:

...dude was white knuckle-toe-cramping WEDGED into his seat with eyes bugging out as we coasted along at highway speeds (like a WALK at this point...) after the quick demo ride.

Never thought twice about WOT when the road is clear and the surface is DRY...

...if the roads are WET or MOIST on the other hand...:icon_surp

NOTE: ALL such ALLEGED "demo-runs" are performed on a CLOSED CIRCUIT on my crisptestrack just out back of the tuning shed... and in NO WAY reflect the casual ACTUAL driving habits of crisp on public roads.;)

-crisp

Nice little story about the demo run.:icon_bigg. I know every time my wife is riding with me she grabs the o-shit handle on the A-pillar as soon as she hears the DDP dump...LOL :biglaugh:

Retro

Oct 23, 2009
England
When I got first got my Supra my right eye instantly developed 'The Supra Stare'! This was characterized by having that eye almost permanently fixed on the temperature gauge while my left eye was fixed on the road. :) My friends noticed my new boss eyed look but when I told them I'd bought a 7M they fully understood.

I used to absolutely nanny around in the Supra until I gave it an overhaul as I'd read all the horror stories, but my trust in it grew and I figured if theres no point having a car like this unles you use it to its FULL potential.

So I sold it and bought an electric car instead so I can potter about like an old ninny and hold up the traffic! Not really, I now drive the Supra at a fair rate of knotts everywhere, and have no worries about giving it a good boot when the road is clear.

I love it and my eyes have returned to normal too!

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
MKIIISupraGuy;1452498 said:
I'd WOT it for ya... would'nt bother since it's not my car :icon_bigg. Only problem is I have no idea where no man's land is.:biglaugh:

...I'm JUST SHY of it in post #51.;)

-crisp