Were there really double platnium plugs in 88????

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
So I work at a parts store, and I was curious what type of plug belongs in my 88 turbo, to my suprise it said oem was a double platnium plug (sorry if I spelled it wrong). Is that true or have they done like ford and updated this over the years. Right now I'm running autolite copper plugs and was wondering if this was causing it to run so rich. Also if I get on it real quick and let off the gas it dies, seems like it floods out??? Anyways those are my conserns for now thanks.

Oh yeah and I'm running 3 ich exhaust with a k&n cone airfilter. And after I got the exhaust done last week I have noticed that it back fires when you accelerate just once then it leans out and is fine till you wot it again.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yes, platinum plugs have been around for damn near forever (the engine in the Wright Flyer used platinum electrodes). Sounds more like you have a BOV that's vented to the atmosphere...

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
Could I use some soapy water in spray bottle like I've done with a vaccum leak? Otherwise I could just feel around I'll also try changing out my clamps to the lines maybe that will help too. My friend who was following me the other night said when I take off it blows black smoke for a second which is what clued me more into it running rich. Last time I had a vehicle do that it was the carburator, I rebuilt it and it ran fine. Also my throttle seems to stick a bit if I tap it real quick it goes back to where it should idle. Thjanks poodles

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
GrimJack;1678095 said:
If you haven't changed anything else, I'd go straight for the turbo to IC pipe... never seen one from the 80s that isn't badly cracked by now.

+1

Also my throttle sticks just like that and I found it is starting very small frays near the linkages on the motor, more specifically the one that kinda swivels, check that out maybe

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Pre-turbo leak, which is after the AFM would cause a lean condition, not rich. Anything after the turbo would cause a rich condition, as when you boost, air will be forced out of the system. That air is metered, and as such, is accounted for with the proper amount of fuel. Remove that air (boost leak) and you get too much fuel for your given amount of air entering the combustion chambers.

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
Well guys I popped my hood to investigate the situation and found my ic piping was coming loose due to some bad clamps. I checke the rest of them and have come to the conclusion I need to replace my clamps and maybe the ic piping as well. None that were checked have cracks or anthing but I'm afraid if I mess with them they will break apart especially under the bumper they look weathered so my next question is what type of ic piping should I use and what clamps have the best results. Is it difficult to replace the piping at all or can it be plug and play?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
First of all, don't buy more Toyota piping. I made that mistake... it's horrendously expensive, and you can get much better stuff in steel. Check the vendors, I'm sure a bunch of them have piping sets for sale.

As for clamps, nothing beats T-bolt clamps.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I recall seeing a LIPP/Suprasport IC pipe set for sale here not long ago. Check the FS section. Also, check www.siliconeintakes.com for t-bolt clamps and couplers if you decide to build your own set.

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
Now that I have replaced my clamps and double checked ALL the vacuum lines its still runnig rich. My buddy says adjust the tps I don't think thats what it is, but there is a dead spot in the accelerator kind of when you hold it down under normal driving and let off litely I find it, doesn't kill the car, can't really explain what it does kind of intermittent. Any ways not to worried about that, I'm more worried about this rich problem at the moment what else could cause it to run rich? maybe I just need new spark plugs? Now at wot it hits a little over 8 psi could that have anything to do with it. I ran it against my friends neon he was running 6 psi and was pulling away from me which makes me think this running rich is a problem and I don't want to hurt my motor. Maybe its timing just throwing ideas around. Of course when I ran against the neon I had 5 people in my car at the time and that may have had somthing to do with it. But it was till runnig rich. Oh and my speedo cable was broke but I got a new one and now it works fine.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
The dead spot in the accelerator sounds like a similar issue i hade turned out i just need to adjust my BOV although it was a Aftermarket BOV