Well...we're minus one more MKIII on the road.

nightmare

Sep 19, 2008
Southern Indiana
At least for awhile. Drove the car to the doctor yesterday and the headgasket went:3d_frown:. I know where I did it even though it ran fine until I stopped at a light. I boosted off an offramp... having fun. As soon as i stopped... chug,chug,chug,chug. Rolled down the window to smell the sweet antifreeze in the air.:3d_frown:. But that stock headgasket with 168,000 miles and the previous owner running as much boost he could without hitting fuel-cut. Before i got it. I'd say it held up pretty good.:biglaugh:
Anyways.. the car did make it home alright. No overheating, and there was no water in the oil. So, it's leading me to believe that it blew out from a cooling jacket to a cylinder. Since my radiator is about half full. With the economy being crap and I keep hearing that I'm not going to have a job after march. And I know this might sound redneck.... But If the car was to sit for a while like this(BHG), should I fill up the cylinders with oil or something so it doesn't rust? At least until I can work on it. Hopefully it won't have to sit very long. But I cant pull it apart right now if I know I can't put it back together in a month or so.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
If your really worried about it pick up a can of WD-40, remove the spark plugs, and with the red straw spray some a little on the walls. Make sure to turn the engine to get the cyl. that are/ were up. Then reinstall the plugs.

nightmare

Sep 19, 2008
Southern Indiana
Yea, i plan on changing the oil this weekend. I had my buddy look up his cost for toyota gaskets. Looks like I gotta save $260ish up for all the gaskets I need. I'm almost tempted to just buy a used 7mgte and get it machined and checked out for a MHG. Then drop it in. But I want to save this motor until i find out what my job is going to do. I've got 2 other DD. So it's not like I need the supra. Plus I'm going to sell off all my parts from a foxbody mustang project that I had:nono:. Which is a different story.. Hopefully I'll make enough off of that stuff to get the Supra goin sooner.
If I decide to get another motor... I can build up 7mgte. A local yard had 2 of them. But I gotta get the money before I can get one. But no one around my area had a 7mgte. What do you guys think? Replace my gaskets on my 168,000mile GTE or get a GE for $100 and build it up?
I'm kinda stuck in a rut on that. I'd really like to go 2J down the road. So I don't want to tie abunch of money in the 7m.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
nightmare;1258113 said:
Yea, i plan on changing the oil this weekend. I had my buddy look up his cost for toyota gaskets. Looks like I gotta save $260ish up for all the gaskets I need. I'm almost tempted to just buy a used 7mgte and get it machined and checked out for a MHG. Then drop it in. But I want to save this motor until i find out what my job is going to do. I've got 2 other DD. So it's not like I need the supra. Plus I'm going to sell off all my parts from a foxbody mustang project that I had:nono:. Which is a different story.. Hopefully I'll make enough off of that stuff to get the Supra goin sooner.
If I decide to get another motor... I can build up 7mgte. A local yard had 2 of them. But I gotta get the money before I can get one. But no one around my area had a 7mgte. What do you guys think? Replace my gaskets on my 168,000mile GTE or get a GE for $100 and build it up?
I'm kinda stuck in a rut on that. I'd really like to go 2J down the road. So I don't want to tie abunch of money in the 7m.

a supra is useless with out a wallet to drain! put the car on the back burner if its going to stress things

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Headgasket fixes are nothing after you have done a few. It takes me 2 afternoons and about $500 for gaskets and machine work. N/A's are obviously quicker and involve less cursing and fewer baked broken connectors.

nightmare

Sep 19, 2008
Southern Indiana
(ERA) LOL!!! That's how i choose my name on the forums... This car is a nightmare! It was abused by rednecks before I got it:3d_frown:. They did alot of stupid stuff to the car before I got it.
My wife told me just to sell it and save up for a good one. I might?. But what's the fun in getting one you don't have to work on.... wait it's a supra.. Lol!!!
It's definatley getting put on the back burner for now. Thats why I was wandering about fogging it so the cylinder walls don't go to hell. It'd help if I had a garage to tear it apart and let it sit in. But I don't... so. Looks like mid-april and I'll find out... thanks guys.