well steve...i think its hurt...bhg?

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
overheated on the way to suprasport saturday:: angry :: only slightly..spiked coming to a stop....drove 3 blocks to the gas station hot....cooled her down quick with idling alone...took about 1 minute to come off the red and down to reasonable in 5....ran hotter than normal the last 60 miles, but not more than half...normal is 1/4 on the gauge for my car

let it cool completely at suprasport...lost about 1.5-2 quarts of water during that cool down. topped the coolant off drove to emillio's...approx 30 miles. no overheating... but about 1/2-3/4 on the gauge. cooled completely...no coolant loss.

drove home..250miles...puked coolant at every gas stop...but no overheating and about 1/2-3/4 on the gauge the whole way.:3d_frown:

now... at home i topped it off and purged it, let it cool off overnight....drove it to work...overheated in 2 miles....then topped it off before going home...overheated in 2miles....no coolant in the oil....still runs great...no knocking. coolant in the exhaust:aigo::yikes:

is it done?.....again! and...im not gonna drive it anymore....going to work was a "test drive"

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I'm still thinking t-stat, but the excess heat may have caused additional damage. (bhg, cracked something, etc)

Try this: new t-stat from Toyota and see if it still spits coolant. Run the car from cold and have a funnel on the radiator and watch for excessive or fine bubbes. My wife's 95 corolla had bhg and it foames the coonant from cold to hot.

digihonk82

Mar 28, 2011
Olathe, KS
you're not seeing white smoke??? Overheating that quickly sounds like combustion gasses directly heating the coolant through the headgasket!

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
no smoke...or steam. the coolant in the exhaust may be a weird fluke, just looked and the front of the muffler also has evidence of coolant on the outside...and i do have slip on chrome tips on the muffler...it may have caught some coolant that leaked. i will be doing a block test on thursday or friday. im not ruling out a bhg at this point.

steve, when you stopped my fan at suprasport was there good resistance on the clutch? the car was hot enough there should have been.
il check out the t-stat and water pump as you suggested thursday as well

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
eh, not anything to write home about, but it was progressive in how it went from free when I stopped it to a fair pull when I let it go. I'd do the T-stat first and foremost since its stupid easy to do. If it went over in 2 miles it could be a 20 minute affair to know if it was the t-stat. If it still overheats then you have to decide what your plan will be and go from there. :)

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
steve, why are you always rite? the thermostat would only open about 1/8th inch... new tstat and it no longer overheats. compression test was good as well.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
WOOT! I had a similar issue this weekend, only my radiator was getting plugged with ferrous material??? 95% chance it was leftover gringing from the original enginr build that got stirred up during several, several 7400 rpm runs :evil2: Cleaning it out ATM, should be good to go with a new T-stat and coolant flush tomorrow!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Moy;1737266 said:
block leak tester. you can blow a headgasket into the coolant passages only, I've seen it on a few cars

My bhg was like the last time around. Would go through a gallon in like 20 min of driving. Zero water in the oil.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
ok so i am coming home from the mountains and i hear a funny noise but my temp gauge is not rising and oil psi is dropping. so i pull over and my engine bay feels really hotter then normal. so i looked under my car and see coolant coming from the heater hose...i had arps and titan mhg 30k on motor..the heater hose was used now i am replacing all the hoses i didn't during the rebuild...btw i have a fluidlyne rad.

ended up getting a tow it was $186 and the new hose was $21 so if i would have replaced a $21 hose from the start i wouldn't be here telling you my short story of my bhg!