well ive stripped the rear of my car.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
thats right, im savign soem weight :D. but also upgradign the stiffness at the rear as well. i was wondering what are the best rear struts (like tower but not really, just in the general area). also, does anyone else have liek a computer-output-like cable runnign form the front to the back?
Oh and for the love of god, everyone should go and change their rear gaskets for their lights. mine were rotted to shit.
oh and as a side note for the rear struts, i plan on keeping the targa holders, but not that stupid cover thingy.
oh and for rusted Rear wheel well, what is the best solution for this? i was figureing sandblasting followed by fiberglass in the well. any ideas?

Last edited:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
dont fiberglass the wheel wells. use sheet metal. that's what i did...

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
fiberglass sucks. (in this case) i used sheet metal, which i riveted to the existing metal, using thick black "cab sealer" for old trucks to prevent any water from entering.

on the inside, in the FRONT of the strut towers, i used the same sheet metal and a ballpene hammer to mold the metal to form-fit, and riveted/sealed it to the chassis. i painted it black to match the car, and it looks as if it's supposed to be there.

the fiberglass will eventually rot out. you can seal it up on the outside with metal, and use fiberglass on the inside if you want... i didnt bother. i should take pics of what i did, but that would entail disassembling my rear interior, which i dont feel like doing... :p

-shaeff

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
shaeff said:
fiberglass sucks. (in this case) i used sheet metal, which i riveted to the existing metal, using thick black "cab sealer" for old trucks to prevent any water from entering.

on the inside, in the FRONT of the strut towers, i used the same sheet metal and a ballpene hammer to mold the metal to form-fit, and riveted/sealed it to the chassis. i painted it black to match the car, and it looks as if it's supposed to be there.

the fiberglass will eventually rot out. you can seal it up on the outside with metal, and use fiberglass on the inside if you want... i didnt bother. i should take pics of what i did, but that would entail disassembling my rear interior, which i dont feel like doing... :p

-shaeff
so wait, you sand blasted it or sanded it before you place it in there right? cause i have really a shit load of rust thats statign there, but its nothign a good sandblasting cant get rid of.

Last edited:

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
IMO, the plastic rear interior weighs next to nothing, its just going to look ugly leaving it like that. Especially being weight over the rear wheels, you don't want to take out weight back there.

As for the wheel wells, Some of the metal there doesn't look salvageable (rusted right through). Probably going to need to be cut out and sheet metal re-welded in. Not a fun job.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
blackout_89t said:
IMO, the plastic rear interior weighs next to nothing, its just going to look ugly leaving it like that. Especially being weight over the rear wheels, you don't want to take out weight back there.

As for the wheel wells, Some of the metal there doesn't look salvageable (rusted right through). Probably going to need to be cut out and sheet metal re-welded in. Not a fun job.
i knwo you do body work, you wanna do it for me? :evil2:
and if not, you seem to know a lot of cool shops aroudn our area, anyone that will do a good job and not cost me all my bank checks?
oh and as for the ugly comment, i figure it would be liek that :D. i think it looks cool but this rear strip is only temp, im keeping soem of the plastics there (not the oen that goes over the rear struts though)
oh and i think the right side is salvageable. the left side has a hoel i nit. i was lookign at it through the wheel wl and i could see sunlight about a needlepin thick coming in.

Last edited:

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
I do body work, that doesn't mean I like it! You couldn't pay me to do anymore! haha. It is so damn tedius.

As far as body shops, I don't know any, I have never had to use one before...

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
blackout_89t said:
I do body work, that doesn't mean I like it! You couldn't pay me to do anymore! haha. It is so damn tedius.

As far as body shops, I don't know any, I have never had to use one before...
Thats too bad, we could have hung out while we worked ya know, and throw rocks at people. well whatever work right?

Silent Smith

Jerk.
Nov 30, 2005
Mississauga
CryoSlash said:
Thats too bad, we could have hung out while we worked ya know, and throw rocks at people. well whatever work right?

If you guys are going to be throwing rocks count me in, As for body shops around here they charge way too much and take way too long.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
Silent Smith said:
If you guys are going to be throwing rocks count me in, As for body shops around here they charge way too much and take way too long.
haha sweet. and thats too ba. i guess ill find someone from the forusm to help me out. the TSC forums ofcourse :D

boost fiend

Banned
Jul 24, 2005
Rockford, Il
i have yet to see that cable in my targa turbo with the factory alarm still installed. might have somthing to do with the tems? trace it down to the other end and let us know where it went too. i wanna know now. if its no good in the car, might be able to use it on my puter!HA:evil2: