Welding on the stock intake manifold?

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
So i now have access to a TIG welder, not exactly sure what the specs are. Its at a friends shop/house/garage setup. But i want to modify the stock manifold into a FFIM... im going to be getting either one from the FS section, ebay, or the junkyard...

but my question is what filler rod do i use? i have no idea what the oem intake manifold is made out of... and i figure one of you will have an idea.

Also, what tungsten rod would i use? Im use to mig welding... so im rather new to the whole tungsten thing.

Any other tips, or advice would be great. Im going to have a new TB flance CNC'ed for me... any suggestions on what i should make that out of either?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
my only advice would be to be prepared to ruin a few manifolds before putting one together correctly. Aluminum isn't particularly easy to weld, and the fact that it is cast doesn't help matters (due to the porosity). It is extremely easy to burn through, especially if you are used to welding steel with a mig setup.

As for the electrode, thoriated tungsten would work.

I made my intake flange from 6061-T6 (no longer t6 after the welding...). No idea what filler was used as I had someone else do the welding.
p1170225_1.jpg

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
The stock Turbo Intake Manifold is Aluminum and thick aluminum. Requires ALOT of power from the welder to get it to weld GOOD.

Have a manufacture and model of the welder in question? Perhaps a COLOR? :)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
4043 for the filler. 3/32" pure tungsten for the electrode, balled on the end. Zirconiated or lanthanated with a point will also work. You may be able go with 1/16" if using lanthanated. Lots of people use thoriated and get away with it but the arc isn't going to be as stable. About 15 cfh on the argon. For something that thick helium would be better. Make sure everything is clean. Use a stainless steel brush on the area just before striking. Start with around 160 amps and wave balance set to normal. Not to discourage you but you understand it'll have to be AC, that TIG is nowhere as easy as MIG, and that welding AL is even harder right? If you've never held a torch and expect to just pick one up and be successful you're in for a surprise.

MK-111

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2007
Wigan
the guy who welded mine up, said he pre-heated it, made the job easier, I would imagine a lower power welder would benefit from this also.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
MK-111;1170238 said:
the guy who welded mine up, said he pre-heated it, made the job easier, I would imagine a lower power welder would benefit from this also.

Only so much.

AL welding requires penetration and that is only possible with high amerpage as the AL loves to dissipate the heat damn quick.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i doubt you could, but could you preheat a chunk of steel and clamp it on under your seam, then preheat the entire piece?

only bring this up because i was reading the opposite on miller's site (to weld sheet metal have a heat sink like a bar of copper underneath to draw heat = less burnthrough)

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
rennat.

i have done all four common forms of welding oxy/act., mig, arc, and tig. tig is by far the most difficult. its somewhat like oxy/act. how you have to create a puddle of molten metal without burning through the piece then slowly add a drop. repeating until you have a full bead. also because you have your torch in one hand then your rod in the other that is the other simularity. you have to be steady with both of your hands at once. not easy. if you are a good oxy/act welder then i would say you might be able to pic it up quick because you have the cordination with both hands. but starting off with aluminum is asking for a frustrating time.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i've done all forms of welding, and i prefer mig and tig... for obvious reasons. haha

im thinking i'll make my exhaust with the tig welder first, because i have 20 different stainless steel (304 & 409) 3'' bends, and i plan to make a custom exhaust system... so i'll start with that. plus welding the pipe will give me a better idea of how to weld the aluminum pipe to the intake manifold...

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
IJ.;1170474 said:
Keep in mind Al doesn't change colour with heat, when it's ready to weld it goes shiny.

The next step hotter is a blob on the floor :)

yeah, i remember that, it was a pain in the ass. when i tried to weld two 1/4'' pieces of aluminum, and make a box, i was able to get some beads flowing, but i burned a few holes. haha

and those blobs are HOT!

The welder my friend has is a snapon "muscle mig" 110v... and it has the TIG torch he says... so im not too positive i'll be doing the welding at his place for the intake manifold!

C.44

Apr 7, 2005
Behind the keyboard...
Your friend probably has a MIG with a spoolgun. That allows you to do some TIG like welding.

However, hardly any MIG welders have AC capabilities and that's exactly what you need to weld alu. You are going to need one part of the pulse to do the actual melting (pushing power IN) and one part of the puls to draw dirt/contaminations out (reversed polarity).

Before attempting to weld aluminum, make sure it is clean. If you just bought it and it looks clean... it's dirty. Take a NEW stainless steel wirebrush which you use ONLY for aluminum and thoroughly clean the parts you are going to weld.

Like Ian said, aluminum doesn't change color it goes shiny. If you didn't clean the part good enough you will not get the aluminum to go "shiny". There's no use in trying to add filler as it will not flow into the puddle. Instead it will get stuck onto your thungsten. If you have filler on your thungsten CLEAN IT. You will have a very unstable arc that will be all over the place if you don't.

With that said, you CAN weld aluminum using DC only. BUT, your welds will be flawed, unstable, uneven, unreliable and they'll look like crap.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Clean clean clean, makes all the difference in the world.

Also, make sure you have pure Argon, the welding shop I bought my first tank of gas from gave me a cyl of 75/25 by mistake. I really thought I sucked at welding, I was about about to sell my brand new AC tig until I bought a new bottle. From then on it was gravy :).

skipbarber

2008 Grassroots Challenge
Mar 26, 2008
Rockville-ish, Maryland
The biggest difference you are going to see between the stainless and the aluminum, is that when running stainless, the puddle is generally much smaller and can be kind of "sticky" if you aren't careful where you dip your filler. Thats really the only word I can use to describe it, I'm sure you will see what I mean. Aluminum flows much better (again, only by practicing could you see what I mean).

Like the other guys said, cleanliess is godliness when welding aluminum. I can tell you right now that an OLD & USED cast part is impossible to clean completely. It soaks up any and all kinds of oil and dirt. You could soak it in acetone for a month and hot tank the hell out of it, but it will still have crap in the weld. The fact that you are welding on the outside of the manifold (I'm assuming), and not the inside should make it somewhat easier, but don't expect any miracles. That said, just do the best you can at cleaning it.

Preheating will help a lot, especially if you don't have a powerful machine. Either way, that piece will be cookin, so get your leather gloves ready.

well.. bleh,... I was gonna write a bunch of stuff, but you know what, your best bet is to go out and buy a welding book from the book store. Anything by Richard Finch is pretty thorough and easy to read. He usually has step by step instructions on everything you will need to get going. If you have any questions, it sounds like there are a few other professional welders on here including myself, so just shoot us a PM.

I'd like to see pics of your progress and Perhaps give some pointers. Have fun, and don't forget your long sleeves and gloves! Skin cancer = no fun (or so I've heard)

-Avi

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
You can mig aluminum. Just want to have a nylon liner and fairly short whip.

Side note: What a lot of people dont know is that MIG was actually invented to do aluminum. This was back during WWII. The reason for it was cause a faster way to build air plains was need and TIG (back then known as Heli Arc) was too slow of a process. MIG is still extensively used in the aviation and trucking industry. For example, Freightliner still uses MIG for 99% of all their aluminum welding needs...