weird oil color after slight use

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
I have a road race car that i run on german castrol. This winter after my last race and the black stone report came back clean i put regular castrol 5w-30 in the car for winter storage. ive driven maybe 1 hour on the oil and changed it today back to my race oil for my race this weekend. the oil came out green. when you thin the oil over a surface it is light brown but when lumped together in a pan it is green. there is no signs of a blown head gasket and the oil does not smell like gas. i was wondering what this could be or maybe if it is just a optical illusion from the overcast day it is outside.

here are some pictures at different angles and with and without the flash.

p1319358_1.jpg

p1319358_2.jpg

p1319358_3.jpg

p1319358_4.jpg

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Here's a couple pics of German Castrol...on the left is the current version...on the right is the earlier production "GC Green"

GC 01.jpg

GC 02.jpg

They were taken in different lighting conditions. The 2nd pic shows a green tinge to the current production oil, but not nearly the color of the "green".

IMO what you are seeing is the way the light refracts off the oil. Do you have a fresh bottle of the same oil to compare?

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
well i found out what it was. at about 11 o'clock last night while me and my "crew" were packing for the race this weekend i mentioned to my dad about the oil color. he smacked me on the back of the head and said you put three bottles of UV dye in that oil a month ago to track down a front seal leak. so as it turns out i have no memory and when you put a black light in my oil drum it now lights up like a Christmas tree lol. so it was just a bunch of dye. thanks for the help tho

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
JJ - LMAO! It is indeed a rare specimen ;)

Yep...UV dye will do it alright. Glad you figured it out.

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
of course now i have to figure out this quantity of blow by in my catch can after 20 minutes of road racing
p1321179_1.jpg

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
catch can is a parker spin filter like the one adjuster uses and is mounted inline with the factory vent from the vent tube out of the valve covers to the accordian hose, so it is correct. a compression check before the winter tear down yielded even compression but a oilily cylinder 3 spark plug. at the time i attributed the oil in the intercooler due to a turbo front seal but there was no catch can back then. this past weekend was my first weekend with the catch can and it filled that much each run. im pretty convinced that the blow by has to be a bad ring. my plan is to do a leak down test asap and to re ring the engine if it shows a bad ring. ill be making a thread in the 7mgte section most likely to better discuss my options.

the even compression was most likely due to the oil sealing the piston ring for that one compression stroke, so now i dont belive the results. i have 2 months till the next race, but limited money. the motor is 2 years old but only has around 30 hours run time. probably a debris failure for the cylinder that is in trouble. most likely ill reuse the arp head studs, buy a new gasket, if the bearings show light wear ill reuse them and hone the cylinders and put in new rings. should be a cheap bandaid until a full rebuild this winter.

since youve helped me so much ill give you the honors of being the first member on supramaina to see a picture of my car, for what its worth.

p1321706_1.jpg