Weird noises, need some help

Arhoades11

Apr 22, 2009
Lynn, Indiana, United States
ok i just got my new supra with a 7mge and i was told it was a rod knock by the guy i got it off of i wasnt sure so i started it up myself it has a noise it sounds like a knock but i thought maybe it was a the valves needed shimed. it sounds like it is high in the motor so thats why i thought it wasnt a rod or a main. the timing chain was replaced at like 80000 and it has 143000 on it now. do you think it could be the timing is off and making a wierd noise and i am getting some oil coming threw the spark plugs and the plug wires arent really making a good connections i think it is because of the oil. its in the 1st and 2nd cylinders is where the oil is coming up. i took the number one spark plug wire off and the noise is still there and did the same to the second one at a time it sounds like it is close to the front of the motor
if you guys can help me out it will be greatly apprecited
thanks again austin

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Rod knock is very common is 7m motors, and they dont really sound like a the rod knock most cars get, but its pretty unlikely that its a shim on the lifter so I am gonna guess rod knock. If you rev to 3000 then snap the throttle full then let off then resnap again at 3000 you will hear it the best if its a rod knock. To test also pull one wire off at a time to kill each cyl, when the noise goes away you found the cyl with the bad bearing. If the noise stays with each unplugged then check elsewhere for noise.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
btw due to the ones being under the intake you will want to take them off the distributor. Just dont do it while running unless you want to learn a lesson the hard way.

Arhoades11

Apr 22, 2009
Lynn, Indiana, United States
ya i already new that to ive done it before i just used a pair of pliers with rubber handles so it didnt shock me and thanks ill read that

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

i read all of it and ill try some of the tricks a have a turbo motor that i might just put in it and say screw the na in i just have to take the time and check the bearing clearances and put new gaskets in a should be ready to go thanks for the help guys ill prolly have more questions later like always ill read before asking tho im not exaclly sure where all my piping goes so ill have to look at pics of your guys cars so i can get mine running thanks again
austin