Weird Exhaust routing questions

aheroicrevolt

Le Kittens Meow
Sep 30, 2012
Grand Rapids MI
I've been building my car for damn near 3 years now. And Its only taking that long because I'm a broke b***h and seem to do everything the hard way. So here is my newest issue. I have an HX40 on an aftermarket Manifold (the short tubed ones that look alot like stock). The exhaust outlet is a 4inch vband, my downpipe is a 3inch. With the adapter I bought, backside of the turbo is only 2 inches away from my firewall...not enough room to bolt on my downpipe.

Can I cut the end of the exhaust at a 45* angle in order to angle the downpipe twords the engine between the manifold and firewall, and then down where its supposed to be?
Air would come out of the turbo at a 45* angle to the right and then turn 90* downwards. You think that is going to kill the flow or mess with anything? I'm not going for HUGE HP anymore....I just want this thing to run.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Would prolly be better to just get a cheap tubular manifold.

But i dont see the harm of what you want to do. Going to look cheap tho.

aheroicrevolt

Le Kittens Meow
Sep 30, 2012
Grand Rapids MI
looking at the "cheap" tubular ones on ebay, I didn't notice if any of the mounting plates were on a specific angle? I know the more expensive ones are, but the cheapo's for the $200 range I cant tell if they are or not because of the angle, and they always put them on a flame background with smiley faces and captions like 1000 HP!...