Weight Reduction for Road Racing

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
supraguru05 said:
hope your car is a 86.5 check the classing again and you will see that the 86.5 are classed its versus the 88-up are itr

personally i debated for months on whether to go club racing or go with nasa and based on the fact our cars are in really lobsided classes im going nasa racing

Gona race the Space Shuttle to the moon?

George

oct86
Feb 18, 2007
Brown County
"Would make the car have flat tires in a few days considering that Helium molecules are small enough to leak through rubber "

No way Dude, what about baloons? :biglaugh:
are you serious....hydrogen then.

Say its not really the weight that keeps the supra down in the autoX its the double garage 180

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
BorHor said:
Actually no one would buy them. No one can afford them. lol.

Everyone would talk about how theyll buy 1 if they can be held until next thursday. Then when next thursday comes along people will say they thought they were all sold but they still want one, next saturday. etc.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Yeah, i'm doing NASA this next season too. Time Trial series, and i'm gonna try and do Performance Touring also. I think this should be moved to the Surpa racing section.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
i just got back from a nasa event and the weight of the car is not that important

i can tell you this tho you needs tons of oil capacity and cooling ability

i have a b&m cooler and i was still getting oil temps in the 220-230 range im going to have to shroud the cooler and radiator to try to get it to cool down

also you cant just jump into time trial racing with nasa you have to run driving events then get your time trial lisence and if you want to do competition racing you have to go to driving schools and pass lisencing tests.

for the competition classes they all run 10pt cages oil coolers ps coolers brake ducting DIFF DUCTING theres alot you have to do to get a car to make it 40 minutes at track speeds

i went with brand new front brake pads and came back with half life or less left

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
supraguru05 said:
i just got back from a nasa event and the weight of the car is not that important

Of course weight reduction is important. If you're moving up in the class system you will be up against lighter more powerful cars and you will get left behind.

But yes, cooling... VERY IMPORTANT!!

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
Grimsta said:
Of course weight reduction is important. If you're moving up in the class system you will be up against lighter more powerful cars and you will get left behind.

But yes, cooling... VERY IMPORTANT!!

what i was saying was that until he gets his competition liscence which will be more than a year there is no point in worrying about weight reduction

unless he is going to race with the scca then he just needs to read the rule book and do everything it allows but you dont just jump into wheel to wheel road racing its not like autocross

in essence he should save his money and buy tires brakes and track time until he is ready to try for a lisence school and test.

its funny when i got to the track how prepared all the other cars even in HPDE1 where the drivers would pull on the striaghts then not know what to do in the turns and thats what happens to people who build the car and then race instead of racing then building the car