web hosting/app development

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
for those that have their own websites/forums/blogs/etc. whats a good web hosting service?

info: im looking into launching a website or forum and so far have noticed that most forums use either phpbb or vbulletin. but havent found much info on which is better (still researching). Also there is a ton of webhosting sites available, the 2 that have caught my eye so far are godaddy and bluehost

Second question: has anyone here developed an iphone/ios app? would like to create an app but im not fluent in computer code? ive talked to some developers and they start at $3,500. Any info/tips on how to get started? I feel that w/ 3500 i can buy a mac book, join apples developer program and buy enough books on writing code and still have money left over.

any info/ideas would be greatly appreciated

*disclaimer* this is not going to be a competing website/forum

thanks
Art

subjug4tor

Man up, Nancy.
May 8, 2008
DFW, texas
I wont be much help, but I used Godaddy for a year and I never had any problems with them. Everything was as advertised and it worked out well. I ended up dropping them for my hosting the next year as I got a server up and running, but I still used them for my Domain Name. All in all, I would recommend them.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
vBulletin is *the* standard in forum software... but it's not cheap.

phpBB is one of the many free alternatives that tries to keep up. Personally, I'm using one called SMF - Simple Machines Forum. It's easy, has decent features, and doesn't get hammered by many security breaches.

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
subjug4tor;1707577 said:
I wont be much help, but I used Godaddy for a year and I never had any problems with them. Everything was as advertised and it worked out well. I ended up dropping them for my hosting the next year as I got a server up and running, but I still used them for my Domain Name. All in all, I would recommend them.

yeah, i lot of places that ive seen use godaddy, seems like a pretty good service at a pretty good price

GrimJack;1707668 said:
vBulletin is *the* standard in forum software... but it's not cheap.

phpBB is one of the many free alternatives that tries to keep up. Personally, I'm using one called SMF - Simple Machines Forum. It's easy, has decent features, and doesn't get hammered by many security breaches.

yeah vbulleting definitely seems to be the preferred choice, but phpbb is free :) cant beat the price, lol

well, im still doing research, just joined a php forum, to do more research

thanks for the replies

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
iOS apps are done in an objective C and from what I have been told from my business partner - it isn't very easy to code in comparison to say an Android app - which can be written in Java.

One suggestion I would make is that you look into the route of doing a mobile site as opposed to an app - if you are looking for small feature sets - you can probably get the functionalities you want out of a mobile site as opposed to having to build an all out application.

As for webhosting - there are soooo many options. I am part owner of a webhost and most of the time I hear many people choose hosts like theplanet/softlayer/hostgator/godaddy - the list goes on and on really... and since my webhost is relatively small - it is really kind of hard to compete with all of the bigger companies.

As for forums - my recommendation goes with phpBB - I use it currently for a few small niche communities and haven't had any issues. If you go for something big though - as everyone else has already said, Vbulletin is where it's at.
Thats just my input though! Hope you can work everything out and find what you need.