Weak spark with AEM EMS V2 and COP setup

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
I had IS300 coils running good in wasted spark mode on the AEM V2 and a DH61 igniter. I've just converted to Granatelli Xtreme COP coils powered by an EFI source coil igniter module wired to fire full sequential. Cranking the car over it sounds like it's only firing on one cylinder. All coils are getting an ignition signal (verified with an LED), and I've pulled the plugs and watched for spark and there is spark but it's very weak and orange color (and isn't even strong enough to trigger my timing light).

I have yet to find good numbers for the dwell settings on these coils, but the AEM is logging ~8ms dwell while cranking which seems like it would be enough, but I am going to try and increase this just to test. I wish I had a scope (but don't), so I'm troubleshooting this without it for now. Here is how I have everything wired up. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

IMG_20140502_110929.jpg

raysupra

7m Love
Jan 18, 2010
Mustang, OK
I know it seems silly but have you done a resistance/ohms test on your wiring?
I'm about to run a V2 Is300 coils/DH61 ign. did you switch because you were running out of spark? just wondering the switch

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
I got a pretty good deal on these coils and they came with a mounting bracket which I never had for the IS300 coils. Plus, I'm running a pretty small plug gap on the IS300 coils which might be causing a rough idle on my 1000cc injectors. I wanted to try opening that gap up some with a stronger ignition system. I haven't done a resistance test on my wiring, but I'll make sure it's OK. Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
OK, so it turned out to be a timing issue and it was just WAY off. I just had to re-set the timing sync in the AEM with a timing light and it fired right up! The spark might not be weak after all, I'll just have to drive it and see. I didn't expect the timing to have changed with just a coil replacement but it was because of how I changed the ignition phasing based off of the old wasted spark and it was firing them on the exhaust stroke. Oops :p.