Waterfall sounds but no bad symtoms?

ggeiss240sx

Nov 8, 2005
Laramie, WY
www.cardomain.com
I got the waterfall behind the dash sound too. It sounds like those little in home waterfalls people put in their rooms to fall asleep haha. But the thing is, it doesnt overheat a bit, the coolant never rises or falls and is clean, doesnt blow a lick of smoke(assuming it cant be a headgasket???). The only thing I can say about it is that the heater in the car doesnt blow hot air sometimes when I turn it on... Just a bubble?

hotsup

Jan 24, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Have you ever considered that the noise behind the dash could also be one of the heater's doors electronic actuators that has a mind of its own?
I believe this is happening in mine because my cooling system is perfect & I sometimes get this noise without running the engine but just have the ignition on. Sometimes it happens everytime I turn the ignition on & other times it doesn't do it at all.

Last edited:

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
haha yeah mine has a mind of its own as well. im not too sure what its doing. maybe it has something to do with it adjusting based on the climate controls temperature sensor?

hotsup

Jan 24, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I know 100% that mine doesn't have a BHG because of the "machining insurance" that I did to the block when I fixed my BHG 55,000 kms ago. I'm actually still running the factory HG.
The engine doesn't use a drop of coolant & my compression is the same as when the engine was first rebuilt.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
check the coolant for exhaust gases.. will tell right there if there is a bhg.. its probably just air trapped in the coolant system.. burp the system w/ heat on and on a incline if you can (so radiator is highest point)

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
"check the coolant for exhaust gases"

Yup.. Make sure you run it hard first, then use that dye kit that will show if exhaust gasses have mixed with your coolant. Just be careful not to let the coolant explode in your face when removing the radiator cap.

hotsup

Jan 24, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I know a lot of Mk3 owners have found that the gurgling type noise behind the dash was related to BHG. With mine I was 90% sure that it was a heater actuator with a mind of its own. It hasn't done it for a while until this morning. I reached under the dash on the LH side of the HVAC & held the actuator on that side in my fingers & it was just moving back & forth in my fingers about 5mm while making that horrible noise. I just about did a Toyota jump because I definitely know its not related to a BHG & its a fairly easy fix, especially after the work I had done to the block & head to ensure that the HG will never leak.

It is possible that some of you Mk3 guys have a crazy actuator & not a BHG because at times it could be mistaken for gurgling.
The thing is that it doesn't make the noise when I turn everything off & that's what first made me think it was an electrical fault instead.

N

NDBoost

figgie said:
holy crap talk about being cheap bastards.
Not very nice to call me cheap, considering im usually one to spend the money to do something right rather then half ass it.

I just dont necessarily see the point in something like that. But to each their own.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
figgie said:
holy crap talk about being cheap bastards.

Huh!?! what?!? Cheap bastards? Yeah were here, thats us. MKIII Supra community.:biggrinbo

Burping the system does in fact work but not every single time. Sometimes you have to make a few attempts to get all the air out. The tool figgie has shown works every time and it does it very well. It is a time saver as well as peace of mind tool.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
lagged said:
burping dosnt work? i guess me and the thousands of other car hobbiests out there that dont use an air evacuator are doing the impossible.

let me add this to my statement, if you can "burp" (which according to figgie dosnt work..) your cooling system enough that you dont over heat, ever; never have any coolant expelled from the reservior; and maybe once a month you might have THOUGHT you heard some water moving around in the heater core (maybe you did actually hear it or, maybe youre just paranoid after fixing 4 BHGs due to various unfortunate events) wouldnt you say that burping has worked? if there is such a small pocket of air in there that you never even notice it, then for all useful purposes you have burped your cooling system..

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
lagged said:
let me add this to my statement, if you can "burp" (which according to figgie dosnt work..) your cooling system enough that you dont over heat, ever; never have any coolant expelled from the reservior; and maybe once a month you might have THOUGHT you heard some water moving around in the heater core (maybe you did actually hear it or, maybe youre just paranoid after fixing 4 BHGs due to various unfortunate events) wouldnt you say that burping has worked? if there is such a small pocket of air in there that you never even notice it, then for all useful purposes you have burped your cooling system..
air in the cooling system regardless of how small you think it is is never good. I don't care if 1000 people jump of a bridge. Just because they do it doesn't mean it is right. ;)

Also too add. The typical "cryers" are calling this part expensive yet are not thinking twice in droping double that for a MHG..... I love the priorities.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
for a hobbiest that tool is expensive, for a shop, no its not.

i couldnt imagine such a small air pocket causing a BHG..