Waterfall sound, air in coolant system, 2010 Ford Fusion....Need Suggestions Plz

Who

Supramania Contributor
I own a 2010 Ford Fusion with 8000 miles and I have been hearing a waterfall sound when I start the car in the morning. Being a Supra owner when I heard the waterfall sound my first thought was air in the coolant system ... WTF. Well it turns out that I am not alone. Other Ford Fusion owners with 2.5 Ltr. engines are experiencing this same problem and Ford has yet to resolve the issue. Ford has purged the cooling system several different ways with no fix. One owner had his HG replaced but the sound is still there. Another member had his entire engine replaced because the Ford Engineer claimed there was "porosity in the block and head". I am posting some facts below in hope that someone might have a suggestion on this problem and a .mp3 file of the sound. The link to the forum is also posted below if anyone wants to read up on it. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated and I will forward them to the forum. Thanks for your time.
WHO

Ford Fusion Forum Sloshing sound.

MP3 of waterfall sound.

1. Coolant flow sound happens when colder (< 25F) outside than when warmer (40F >).
2. It happens more on startup and initial acceleration. It can reoccur when taking off after idle for 30-60 seconds.
3. There is no overheating.
4. There is no loss of coolant
5. There is no steam in the exhaust.
6. There is no change in engine performance. (no missing, loss of power or MPG)
7. There is only nominal pressure in the coolant recovery tank at normal operating temperature. (low coolant pressure)
8. The cooling system has been through one cycle of purging according the the Ford recommended specification with no change.
9. The noise is less pronounced after driving it at highway speeds for extended periods (2+ hours), but becomes louder and more pronounced after 2-3 days (50-100 miles)

Last edited:

Sil

Evil Empire
Jan 13, 2008
Milwaukee/Chicago
Who;1523948 said:
I own a 2020 Ford Fusion with 8000 miles and I have been hearing a waterfall sound when I start the car in the morning. Being a Supra owner when I heard the waterfall sound my first thought was air in the coolant system ...[/I]

There's your problem, car is from 10 years in the future.
Have you taken yours to the dealer yet? What did they say?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I know that we're all tinkerers and mechanics to some extent, but first and foremost, it's under warranty. Don't touch it, don't fuck with it.
Let it overheat, it's covered.
If there's an issue, it WILL be resolved.
Ford is one of the only car companies that I actually believe in at this point in time, and I work for a GM dealership. I have heard of a few engines having the porosity both GM and other companies.
I'm saying this for your own good. Sometimes it throws a red flag when the dealership realizes the customer has been messing with the car. Obviously some dealers are better than others, and will welcome a knowledgeable customer that isn't afraid to get their hands dirty.

Who

Supramania Contributor
Trust me I know its under warranty and I have not touched a thing. All the maintenance has been done at ford and will be done at ford for the next 5 years 60,000 miles under the powertrain warranty. I'm not going to give them a reason not cover this issue.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Alright, just don't want to see you get screwed out of your warranty because some dealer wants to give you the black flag.
Good luck with it, with enough similar cases, it should get fixed through warranty without issue.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I just looked through the workshop manual for the '10 Fusion with 2.5L and theres no TSB's or any symptom descriptions with what you describe, so its obviously not a problem that has been covered in the manual yet. I really wouldnt worry about it if i were you though. Wouldnt hurt to perform a block test with the dye, just to see if you are getting combustion gasses into the cooling system. Beyond that, as stated i wouldnt touch it or worry about it.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
drop it off where you bought it and demand a rental until fixed. new car and issues should mean they fix it or its a lemon.

Who

Supramania Contributor
supra90turbo;1524428 said:
Alright, just don't want to see you get screwed out of your warranty because some dealer wants to give you the black flag.
Good luck with it, with enough similar cases, it should get fixed through warranty without issue.

Good advise, Thanks

CyFi6;1524439 said:
I just looked through the workshop manual for the '10 Fusion with 2.5L and theres no TSB's or any symptom descriptions with what you describe, so its obviously not a problem that has been covered in the manual yet. I really wouldnt worry about it if i were you though. Wouldnt hurt to perform a block test with the dye, just to see if you are getting combustion gasses into the cooling system. Beyond that, as stated i wouldnt touch it or worry about it.

Thanks for looking. I will post your suggestion on doing a block test with dye.

Mk3runner;1524442 said:
drop it off where you bought it and demand a rental until fixed. new car and issues should mean they fix it or its a lemon.

Your right but my sound isn't any where near as loud as other cars. I hear it because I know what to listen for. Next oil change I will bring it up but chances are they will deny hearing the sound. The lemon laws in Florida favor the consumer so I have time on my side.