Water to air intercooler

jamesdem1123

Mar 2, 2006
Palm Harbor
has anyone tried an intercooler like this?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

at 700 cfm pressure drop is .10 (psi, percent??), cooling liquid at 110 degrees farenheit lowers intake to 191 degrees, dont know what pressure tho.

i hear good things about water to air, this one has little pressure drop and the inlet and outlet are on the same side. i want to mount it by the filter and move the filter to a custom intake box where the stock intercooler is, or use the stock intercooler as the radiator for the water/air unit.

any ideas?

jamesdem1123

Mar 2, 2006
Palm Harbor
what does the stock intercooler bring it down to compared to the water/air setup? major advantage i see to his setup is there is a whole lot less volume to fill and less restriction, where a stock intercooler has a major psi drop so to get the same boost at the manifold the turbo has to put out more pressure, more you raise the pressure the higher the temperature goes up before intercooler.

lanternman

Apr 21, 2005
MI
It uses coolant but runs on a seperate system than your radiator. It has its own heat exchanger and the fluid is kept much cooler than your main cooling system.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
generally, how big is the exchanger? Like a tranny fluid cooler? And is all the fluid stored in it, or is it stored in.. like a washer container? I'm really interested in this.

jamesdem1123

Mar 2, 2006
Palm Harbor
you can have a revevoir but u dont need one, if i go this route im gonna use a resevoir with a lid big enough to put ice in it, maybe dry ice but then u need a pressure vent. the heat exchanger is a little bigger than a tranny cooler, i think Ian has a water/air by PWR motorsports, but his is a tube design and he has alot of tubing (less than stock tho). I like this design becuase it uses almost no tubing at all=very quick spool time.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
i read that you can use a pair of oil coolers as heat exchangers in an air to water ic system. but IJ's looks bigger than an oil cooler.