Water Temp Sensors

landtoy80

Jul 16, 2007
grand junction, CO
I see three water temp sensors next to the thermostat.
I only find one water temp sensor in the Toyota Supra Manual and that the single wire water temp switch.
The other two are two wire sensors. What do they control and how do I test them?

Reason for post is I want to test the temp sensor for the trannys overdrive.

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
One for ecu, one for gauge and the other one for turning on the auxillary fan. I guess if anyone of them don't work then it broke.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
p983582_1.jpg

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Shorting the connector will simply read normal operating temp. Unless JJ says different. But I am pretty sure it is an NTC type thermistor.

I don't have my book here, but the engine control unit(TCCS) sends the signals to the trans control unit. The online EWD shows 4 colored wires, IDL, and speed sensor as inputs. You will have to check the wire colors yourself.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If there is no resistance, shouldn't it show hot? Besides a code for open or short.

edit:never mind, it will substitute a known good value.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Sorry Nick, my bad. Is this the gage we're talking about? If so yeah, it'll show hot but hot isn't normal. Or are you talking about the ECU coolant sensor? If so yes, a short across it will default the ECU to hot (normal) temp. That ought to confuse him ;)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I think his car shifts into O/D sooner than he thinks it should. No, not the gage. He mentioned crossing the wires, so I assumed he meant the two wire harness behind the powersteering resevoir.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Ah, I see. I'll have to defer to your expertise about what the auto does based on coolant temp because that's one area I've never looked into. I'm a manual.

OP: The sensor can be checked according to the graph published in the book. As Nick said it's NTC and iirc will be around 200 ohms when the coolant is at normal operating temperature.