water pump install tips

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I'm installing a new water pump and was wondering if there are any tips I should follow. It appears that the previous water pump was installed with some type of rubbery sealant or something, but I see no mention of anything needed for sealing besides the gasket in the TSRM. Is there some sort of sealing substance I should use or is the gasket and a clean gasket surface sufficient? Any other thoughts?

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
expensive, but worth every penny.

413482KZ5AL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
go stud for the m6x1.0 bolts and stay bolts for the m8x1.25 unless you can find studs. I just prefer studs because of their higher tensil strength and they won't strip the threads in future R&R. As the gasket goes, just clean the surface and use the factory gasket. Apply some sort of sealant if weary ( I like copper spray or grey RTV with any imperfections).

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
jdub;1378519 said:
How so? (not a trick question...never used the import version)

The Right Stuff Import Grey.
http://www.permatex.com/documents/tds/Automotive/34310.pdf

It has a tensile strength of 3.4 N/mm^2 = 493 lb/in^2 Minimum.
Hardness of 60 Shore A. (See Fig 1. to get an idea of what this means.)
But has only an elongation rate of 175% at break.

Permatex Right Stuff Black
http://www.permatex.com/documents/tds/Automotive/33694.pdf

Has a Tensile Strength of 1.4 N/mm^2 = 203 lb/in^2 (PSI) Minimum
Hardness of 30+/-5 Shore A. (See Fig. 1)
Elongation Rate of 550% at Break.

Hardnesscale.gif

Note, on the table below Durometer A and Durometer D is the same as Shore A and Shore D.

It really doesn't matter, original has a better elongation rate, Grey is harder and stonger.

They're both used on OEM Apps respectively.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Stock gasket and no sealant or anything, sealed fine.

Keep in mind that there are studs and bolts, they have different torque specs for both, so follow the TSRM.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
cool zum! both seem really good. I do like the elongation rate of the black and the flexibility it provides. Even the black stuff probably the densest I have used. I would imagine the grey would be a little less forgiving with movement, and would require high and consistent force (bolt torque) at the gasket surface.

I bet both work great though.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
I've never used the Right Stuff Black. I'm sure it's great stuff.

The right stuff Grey is designed for flanges with lots of hardware holding them, and that are close fitting. It's OEM for Nissan, Mazda, Kia. (Basically Everyone that doesn't have a 3Bond sealant anymore). Its perfect for everything on the 7M.

the issue i find is, you can only buy it at napa, (as of now)!