Water Logged????

Heggmonic

Oct 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Hello,

This is my first post, I have read a number of tech tips and they have been very helpful. Lots of knowledge here!

Now for my problem.... I just repaired the engine (BHG) in a new purchase (87 MKIII 7MGE). Started up first turn of the key . Of course the next step was to go for a drive an check out the rest of the car. Well to my surprise I hear this water sloshing around from behind me, what the hell>? So I open the hatch and there’s water! Yup, the spare tire is floating and the Power antenna is partially submerged. Man never seen this before… So I look at the hatch seal and everything looks OK…. Anyone know if there is a chronic problem with hatch leaks or where to start looking. The rear quarters are full of water. I’m surprised that thee is no drainage for this..

Dave

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
There should be a few drain plugs in the hatch area.

Now where'd the water come from? Has it been raining?

Check the quarterpanels underneath and the wheel wells for rust holes, also where the rear speakers mount to.

Heggmonic

Oct 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
WOW! That was quick!

The car as been sitting in my driveway (all doors closed and locked, unless I am working on it). There has been a fair amont of rain lately, but doors were all closed. The car is completely rust free, so it was not injected from driving, nor have I driven the car, because it did not run. I suspect that it is the hatch back, but I don't see any issues with the seal..

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
most likely places for water ingress are the rear light seals, the rear wiper arm seal, the metal trim round the tailgate glass (usually the bottom trim, a bit silicone in there should sort that) and check for rust around the seal. you will need to remove it to check for that though.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
well maybe if you have a tarp to lay in the hatch area, you can open the hatch and pour water over the seal area and watch to see if it is leaking

Heggmonic

Oct 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Yup, I think that I will take the tarp tip for now, at least until I find the leak. Will check the moldings. It seems to be pretty bad as both quarters are full of water, along with the spare tire cavity.

I haven't had time to install the spoiler yet (purchase off eBay), so that can't be it. (If I would have instaled it, that woulda been the first place looked LOL.

Dave

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
hmm does yours not have a spoiler as standard? id say if you can get into the car and sort of lay in the boot and have a pal squirt water at the back end sort of starting low down and working up then you will have a good chance of finding the leak. with the boot closed obviously.

Heggmonic

Oct 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Finnon said:
licence plate lights are another poss depending on what type of rear clusters you have aswell
Looks like rain here t'day, so I will take a look while it's raining and see where it's coming from.....

Thanks for the assistance.

Dave