Water leaking into hatch area... Any ideas?

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
Guys what are the most common spots in the rear these cars leak from?

Ive ordered new spoiler gaskets, talight gaskets and tag light gaskets (not here yet) oh and also a few hatch panel clips.

Is there any other spot it could leak from?

Im getting water build up in the spare tire housing.
So until I get the gaskets in Ive pulled a drain plug for the moment.

Ive noticed a bit of water coming from my passenger tailight.
(So I ordered those seals)
And also when I pulled the hatch panel (access for spoiler seals) I noticed 2 clips rusted through to the point they broke.
BUT I hosed it down real good and did not notice any water coming through from the spoiler bolt area.
SO how would water be building up in that hatch panel area?? Only thing I can think of right off is the hatch glass lower seal/metal trim. Do those ever leak?
Or could it be the seal for the hatch wiper?

Need help as I dont have any rust at all in the interior and this is going to make me mad if my gaskets dont fix this...I dont want my car rusting up.

Thanks guys!
--Steve

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
Frankenstien;1294694 said:
Lower corners of the hatch glass, and your taillights.

What has been done to correct this problem with the corners, If this is what it is.

3p141592654 said:
In addition to what you mentioned, check the nuts holding the lower window garnish on. Yes, also check the wiper grommet, it is cheap.

Antenna can leak too

Okay Ill order the wiper grommet for assurance.
But what about the lower window garnish nuts? Do I just snug those up or should I remove that molding and silicone it up then reinstall?

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
steveaw11;1294771 said:
What has been done to correct this problem with the corners, If this is what it is.

Okay Ill order the wiper grommet for assurance.
But what about the lower window garnish nuts? Do I just snug those up or should I remove that molding and silicone it up then reinstall?

i think my corners are leaking too, i need to know as well.

NCSupraowner

Sep 29, 2008
NC
I had all those leaks too and replaced taillight lenses and gaskets and all that crap and still had a leak. I finally found the last leak coming from the seam on the taillight assembly (right at the top edge) on the 87-88 models. A 1/8" bead of clear silicone fixed mine so check that area as well. good luck

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
I had the same issue with water around my spare tire. Water building up in your spare tire area could indicate that you have holes in your inner wheel wells. Mine were pretty rusted out. If you can do the work yourself it will be a lot cheaper. I had both side quarter panels and inner wheel wells replaced and repainted. Not cheap. On the up side no more water.

Frankenstien

Mar 2, 2008
Lower Mainland, B.C.
With the lower hatch glass corners, I am going to try some clear automotive silicone and if that doesn't work, I'll be getting a new set from Toyota. I've been really lazy lately, more enjoying the car than fixing the small things on it.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
With the trim on the bottom of the hatch glass, you have to remove the plastic panel on the underside of the hatch and remove all the little nuts that hold the trim on(8mm IIRC). Pull it up and you will see how it is held on by the corners.

The studs have little gaskets on them but I just made sure they were all good and cleaned everything, put a little grey RTV on both sides of the gaskets and reinstalled.

That doesn't leak anymore..but my spolier gaskets do now..

SupraMan1987

Mar 8, 2006
Hickory area, NC
Wasn't their a more in depth fix for the hatch? I've got ater coming in that sits on top of my hatch trim until I pop the hatch, so I need to figure it out and fix it soon.

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
^exactly what i got. i even had my dad spray down the hatch with a hose while i was lying down in the hatch and i didnt even see a drop, but somehow rain finds its way and collects in that cover peice

Frankenstien

Mar 2, 2008
Lower Mainland, B.C.
^ that will be the lower corners on your hatch probably. Mine only leaks when its rained on for several hours, but not sprayed on by a hose(tried that for 45min). Take that interior piece off the hatch and lay down some paper towel (securely) and see where the water collects after a few days. Or, take the piece off, then wait till your hatch gets water in it again and look where it leaks down from. Pretty straightforward I think. Either way, it will be a little time consuming.

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
PCguylovesSupra;1295074 said:
I had the same issue with water around my spare tire. Water building up in your spare tire area could indicate that you have holes in your inner wheel wells. Mine were pretty rusted out. If you can do the work yourself it will be a lot cheaper. I had both side quarter panels and inner wheel wells replaced and repainted. Not cheap. On the up side no more water.

Nah car has almost zero rust. Georgia car its whole life. And somewhat taken care of.

Think Ill take that trim off the lower glass and see what I can silicone up and put the rtv on the stud grommets.

Im loving the suggestions and possible fixes guys, keep it up!

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
with out reading the tread tail light gaskets.. Pull the drain plug out of the hatch where teh spare tire is unless you want it to rust out.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
If the tail light seal does not fix it:

[post=32358]Re: Water getting in[/post]

isnms;32358 said:
Studio1 said:
I had water getting in around the rear hatch as well, so set about trying to stop it. First I removed the spoiler, used silicon and sealed up every bolt hole plus siliconed under the black rubber "washers" that go between the spoiler and the hatch, then re-installed the spoiler. Next I removed the wiper arm, motor and bushing - cleaned them all up and re-installed with silicone around all that. Next I removed the trim around the bottom of the glass, cleaned the gutter out and put a donut of silicone around each bolt hole. Re-installed the trim. Waited for a rainy day. Hatch still leaks! Damn it all! The water is pooling up inside the big plastic trim on the inside of the hatch. I am damned if I know how it is getting in now.

This is EXACTLY the situation I have. I have intended to do all the sealing up you did and have already done the wiper arm one. Now it sounds like the rest of them are not it either :(
Let me know if you get yours fixed.

Update with fix 11-6-8
Water in Hatch Trim
I did all the suspects - spoiler trim, wiper motor, window.
I also had water getting into my right tail light and did the seals for them.

After sitting on my new hatch seal for a few month, I finally installed it.
Last night we had a deluge of the sort I should have received a shower when I open the hatch this morning.
No Water In Hatch Trim !!! :D or the tail light.

not really worth making a new thread but wanted to update this so I could refer others to it in the future.

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
Okay, had to reorder my seals from my other discount dealer since 1sttoyotaparts.com was being a pain.

Whats still available:
Hatch seal
Tailight seals
Center spoiler seal
grommet nut thing for rear wiper

Out of what I originally ordered heres whats not available in the US anymore.

Not available from Toyota:

Right and left side pre 89 spoiler gaskets
Protectors on top of the R & L spoiler gaskets
Rear taglamp seals

Will update this post when I get the seals I could get on :)

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
I had the same problem until about 2 weeks ago, I replaced the tail light gaskets, and the Wiper Arm grommet and all.. what I wound up doing is getting some foam-rubber weather stripping from the old parts store, and running that along the top of the hatch. This all makes contact with the oh-so-worn rubber weather stripping.
Problem solved. And it beats $70 plus for new weather stripping.
Hey, its working for now.

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
Mr.Yuk;1297452 said:
I had the same problem until about 2 weeks ago, I replaced the tail light gaskets, and the Wiper Arm grommet and all.. what I wound up doing is getting some foam-rubber weather stripping from the old parts store, and running that along the top of the hatch. This all makes contact with the oh-so-worn rubber weather stripping.
Problem solved. And it beats $70 plus for new weather stripping.
Hey, its working for now.

That rear weatherstripping is only about $52 discounted from a place like 1sttoyotaparts.com or my guy.

Either way something should fix this leak from all the gaskets I got.

Im going to clean up the outer end spoiler gaskets use some silicone spray to soften them up a bit then may get some 3M stuff to help seal them back down.