water in oil cooler! need advice

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
I have learned alot on this forum and im relying on you pros to teach me some more. I bought a used oil cooler (first mistake) and when I recieved it, it appeared to have water inside. The previous owner confirmed that he flushed it with water. :3d_frown: I need some advice on how to get all of it out. I dont want ANY moisture in my fresh build! I have tried shooting compressed air in there and nothing came out at first. But then I got quite a bit out, but when you look down in it you can still see moisture. My concern in getting it all out and how will I do that, when I assume there are alot of small passages in there that could be contaminated. I would assume it would have to be filled completely with some kind of cleaner and would probably be best under pressure or flushed somehow. Im not sure what is best to used w/o being in the same boat after im done. This is all I found in my search: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31213&highlight=water+oil+cooler Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanksssss!!!!

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
ok and gas wont be hard to get back out of a closed area like that? Well just pouring it in and letting it set, suffice? Will it have to be flushed and if so how?

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
I know this is a bit out of the way of what you're trying to do, but if youre talking about a stock oil cooler, from what ive read they arent the best anyway. If you have the money to do so, why not get an aftermarket oil cooler. Just a suggestion. Otherwise, gasoline does a good job, thats what i used to clean the oil out of my intercooler, it worked GREAT.

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
xarewhyayen said:
I know this is a bit out of the way of what you're trying to do, but if youre talking about a stock oil cooler, from what ive read they arent the best anyway. If you have the money to do so, why not get an aftermarket oil cooler. Just a suggestion. Otherwise, gasoline does a good job, thats what i used to clean the oil out of my intercooler, it worked GREAT.
no its not a stock oil cooler, its aftermarket. And the thing that worries me about gas is the residue it will leave behind.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Gas residue?! You honestly think the engine won't be dumping fuel in your oil on the very first and every cold start thereafter?

Either flush it with fuel, alcohol, paint thinner, mineral spirits, or some other high vapor pressure solvent or purge it with dry air or a hair dryer for a few hours or simply stick it in the oven at 225 F for two hours. Course all that's needless because the proper thing to do would be to install it just like it is. Any traces of water will immediately be boiled off the same way as the water that collects in every engine's oil every day from blowby and condensation. Same as the fuel that makes it in the oil. I mean come on, water is one of the two largest byproducts of combustion. Snap out of it dude. Being anal is good but you're off the deep end.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
hate to say it but alot of motor's from wreaker have water added to them if they have ticking vavles and stuff

what happens it will boil and pretty much vapor clean shit unstuck i knwo it's bad but alot of places do it then drain the oil after words that why it is good idea to all wasy cheak the top end cause there will be some thgin still left up top for you to find

aka a little bit of water will not be that bad but i still clean it away ways

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
jetjock said:
Gas residue?! You honestly think the engine won't be dumping fuel in your oil on the very first and every cold start thereafter?

Either flush it with fuel, alcohol, paint thinner, mineral spirits, or some other high vapor pressure solvent or purge it with dry air or a hair dryer for a few hours or simply stick it in the oven at 225 F for two hours. Course all that's needless because the proper thing to do would be to install it just like it is. Any traces of water will immediately be boiled off the same way as the water that collects in every engine's oil every day from blowby and condensation. Same as the fuel that makes it in the oil. I mean come on, water is one of the two largest byproducts of combustion. Snap out of it dude. Being anal is good but you're off the deep end.
Your damn right Im being anal! As much time and money as I have spent on this rebuild I want everything to be as perfect as I can possibly make it. Im sure there are variables in all this that I cant control or maybe things I havent learned yet, being my first rebuild and all, but that is my perogative isnt it. Anal has already saved me from comtaminating my coolant with stop leak that most people would have assumed would have all been cleaned out by the hot tank at the machine shop. See my build thread. One thing I forgot to mention is that the little bit of oil that is coming out looks just like the milkshake that came out of this motor. That is another reason I would like it cleaned out. Who knows what else this cooler has been through that I dont know about. Yeah I know its kinda late to be thinking about that after buying a used cooler, but you put your faith in people to sell good useable stuff too. I appreciate the opinion none the less