Water getting in

Sonex2000

Apr 3, 2005
I got a little bit of a water problem wit the rear hatch. when I wash my car water gets into the panel on the hatch door. should I add weather wtripping or go with silicone? Ideas or suggestions? Any one dealt with this before and solved it with positve results?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i got the hatch weatherstripping at a junkyard for $5. other places it could be leaking in:
*spoiler seals
*wiper motor/arm assembly
*the trim at the bottom of the window. (this is where mine leaks :( )
*antenna

-shaeff

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
clear RTV! works great. just fill in all the little spaces you see where water can get in, and scrape off the excess.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
:wuteva:
lagged said:
clear RTV! works great. just fill in all the little spaces you see where water can get in, and scrape off the excess.

Just be sure to clean the surface real good first. Use some brake spray cleaner on a rag, as it won't leave residue.

I think mine also leaks at the bottom of the glass, under the molding. I got tired of getting wet when I opened the hatch, so I drilled a couple of holes in the plastic inside panel so it would not collect there, and to let it run on down to the spare tire area. I pulled the rubber plug out at spare so water can drain to ground.
Fortunately it does not rain much here in desert.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
I've got the same problem. But mine only leaks during hard rain.
I'd like to find out where you're having the problem. I think its the window seal or the wiper motor. But I can't narrow it down.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
mrnickleye said:
:wuteva:

Just be sure to clean the surface real good first. Use some brake spray cleaner on a rag, as it won't leave residue.

I think mine also leaks at the bottom of the glass, under the molding. I got tired of getting wet when I opened the hatch, so I drilled a couple of holes in the plastic inside panel so it would not collect there, and to let it run on down to the spare tire area. I pulled the rubber plug out at spare so water can drain to ground.

id rather fix it at the source, than drill holes and ruin my interior. i have NO leaks what so ever in the hatch area of my car. water just does not collect back there any more.

"fix" it however youd like, its your car.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
mrnickleye said:
Use some brake spray cleaner on a rag, as it won't leave residue.

i wouldnt use brake cleaner anywhere that there's paint... you'll dull the finish, and possibly peel the paint, which is why it tells you to keep it off painted surfaces on the back of the can.

i would just seal it up correctly, and not do it ghetto like that. do it right the FIRST time. reasons like cutting/drilling holes in your interior to get rid of water instead of actually FIXING the problem is what gives us MKIII owners the reputation the MKIV guys think we have.

-shaeff

foofers

One who lurks.
Apr 3, 2005
SF, CA
lagged said:
id rather fix it at the source, than drill holes and ruin my interior. i have NO leaks what so ever in the hatch area of my car. water just does not collect back there any more.

"fix" it however youd like, its your car.

Just to make it clear that you do not need to drill a hole. There already is a hole in the spare tire area; and there's just a plastic piece plugging it up. Of course this is only a temporary fix.

S

Studio1

I had water getting in around the rear hatch as well, so set about trying to stop it. First I removed the spoiler, used silicon and sealed up every bolt hole plus siliconed under the black rubber "washers" that go between the spoiler and the hatch, then re-installed the spoiler. Next I removed the wiper arm, motor and bushing - cleaned them all up and re-installed with silicone around all that. Next I removed the trim around the bottom of the glass, cleaned the gutter out and put a donut of silicone around each bolt hole. Re-installed the trim. Waited for a rainy day. Hatch still leaks! Damn it all! The water is pooling up inside the big plastic trim on the inside of the hatch. I am damned if I know how it is getting in now.

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
rear tail seals probly rotted, water goes down trail to go round lights but instead of going round and draining they're going into the lights and down inside hatch (oh stu.. here they call them TRUNKS.. they're not trees dammit lol)

my guess ;)

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
Studio1 said:
I had water getting in around the rear hatch as well, so set about trying to stop it. First I removed the spoiler, used silicon and sealed up every bolt hole plus siliconed under the black rubber "washers" that go between the spoiler and the hatch, then re-installed the spoiler. Next I removed the wiper arm, motor and bushing - cleaned them all up and re-installed with silicone around all that. Next I removed the trim around the bottom of the glass, cleaned the gutter out and put a donut of silicone around each bolt hole. Re-installed the trim. Waited for a rainy day. Hatch still leaks! Damn it all! The water is pooling up inside the big plastic trim on the inside of the hatch. I am damned if I know how it is getting in now.
This is EXACTLY the situation I have. I have intended to do all the sealing up you did and have already done the wiper arm one. Now it sounds like the rest of them are not it either :(
Let me know if you get yours fixed.

Update with fix 11-6-8
Water in Hatch Trim
I did all the suspects - spoiler trim, wiper motor, window.
I also had water getting into my right tail light and did the seals for them.

After sitting on my new hatch seal for a few month, I finally installed it.
Last night we had a deluge of the sort I should have received a shower when I open the hatch this morning.
No Water In Hatch Trim !!! :D or the tail light.

not really worth making a new thread but wanted to update this so I could refer others to it in the future.

Last edited:

Supraholic

Mar 31, 2005
Houston, TX
I also did the same tasks as "Studio 1" describes.. but still getting lots of water in the hatch... I even replaced rubber gaskets around the wiper motor hole.. but all I still get is lots of water inside..

S

Studio1

Mmmm, I think the only solution is to pull the plastic trim off (the big butty bit), fold the rear seats down, lie upside down in the rear so you are looking up at the hatch, then get someone to wash the rear hatch area with a hose as though it was raining, then try to see with a torch as to where it might be coming in. Shouldn't be too hard to trace.
I won't be posting any more about my hatch repairs as that particular Supra is no more ... long story .. but I do have a new Supra (well, new second hand) and from what I have seen it might not be leaking. Granted if it is I will be posting my findings here but that is a fair way off before I get that far.

bandit

supra enthusiast
May 16, 2005
southeast missouri
i had a leak in the rear of the car too.i found a few rust holes in the fender well right under the seat belt retractor,(under the trim panel) that the tires were throwing the water in. i sanded patched it with a welder and put under coating over the patch and my problem was fixed.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
bandit said:
i had a leak in the rear of the car too.i found a few rust holes in the fender well right under the seat belt retractor,(under the trim panel) that the tires were throwing the water in. i sanded patched it with a welder and put under coating over the patch and my problem was fixed.

you've got it, sir! i had the same problem. fixed it, and now the only leak i have is one small piece of trim. i'll soon be leak free.

-shaeff

MortalRift

May 25, 2005
I too have the leaking trunk/taillights. In fact, the spare tire well has rusted out, so I would be very cautious about allowing the water to run through it. Silicon sealent and sheet metal have fixed 95% of the problem, but the lightbulbs in the tail light will blow out every time I drive in the rain. (The one leaks right onto the bulb).

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
grab some new gaskets from Toyota and coat each side of the gasket with a good layer of gray RTV sealer. i havent had a problem since with the tail light seals.

-shaeff

ryans_supra

Mar 31, 2005
Burnaby
the only place mine leaks from now is the trim right below the back window. i am not sure if water is supposed to channel through there or not. but i have the exact same issue as others. replaced tail light seals with a adhesive sealant meant for windows. thats not leaking anymore. pulled spoiler and replaced with new gaskets and lots of rtv sealant. also pulled the trim below the rear window and put sealand around the holes that screw it down. but i know its leaking around those white plastic things that hold the trim in place.

The big Question is should or shouldn't water be channeling below the trim just below the glass?