water damage electrical issues.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Hello, my buddies been working on this 87 supra in the state next to me. (It's my car, as well as his) But He's been having some serious issues, and he is a certified automotive tech as well. But he wanted me to try and get some advice on this. Needless to say any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance. Here's a brief description of the problems that are occurring.

"I am not getting power to the diagnostic box or fuel pump. Efi fuse is getting power. No signal to starter when turning key to start position. Windows don't work along with power locks, seats, turn signals, and hazards."

djsilence813

Feb 4, 2012
Tampa,fl
check for open wires and make sure everythings plugged in tightly i had a problem with my afm it was reading and come to find out it wasnt plugged in all the way but i would start there test the wires with a ohmeter

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
its good practice to junk a car with any kind of water damage :/ you may never get it to run right

that said, i would replace the body harness find one on ebay or here if you can't find one you will have to pull the harness and find the bad wires and replace them

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
the doorlock controller needs to be replaced if it gets wet it will burn out for the windows take apart the switches on both doors and clean rust off the connecters (replace the body harness also or at least try) replace all the relays as there all bad now, that includes the ones in the car drivers side and passenger side as one of the relays control the starter, the list go's on, If i may ask what was the extent of the water damage ?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Water damage is a nightmare in a modern automobile. As ATL88 asked, what kind of water damage are we talking about? Did this thing sit out in a rainstorm with the windows open, or are we talking about a car that has taken a bath in the Gulf of Mexico?

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
lol... I didn't even know it had water damage until recently... and my reaction was pretty much "OMG" *facepalm... the extent is that it was in a flood. the water came up to the bottom of the doors apparently.

My buddy that picked up this car, like I said, is an excellent mechanic, but he does hate doing electrical work. I just see it as another challenge to overcome, but I know he's going to want to sell the car. Luckily I'm not invested in the car it's-self, just the the stuff going into it. That said; I can't believe he bought a car with water damage. Just doesn't seem like something he'd do. :-/

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
89jdm7m;1820575 said:
lol... I didn't even know it had water damage until recently... and my reaction was pretty much "OMG" *facepalm... the extent is that it was in a flood. the water came up to the bottom of the doors apparently.

My buddy that picked up this car, like I said, is an excellent mechanic, but he does hate doing electrical work. I just see it as another challenge to overcome, but I know he's going to want to sell the car. Luckily I'm not invested in the car it's-self, just the the stuff going into it. That said; I can't believe he bought a car with water damage. Just doesn't seem like something he'd do. :-/

to the bottom of the doors is not too bad, tell him to check the controler for the door locks its in the driver side door at the bottom, like i said before the relays on the driver side and passenger side all need to be replaced

if it was me as the owner i would go ahead and get a new dash harness and body harness just cause maybe even a motor harness, the starter is at the bottom so it may have rusted to the point where it wont work anymore also the relay for the starter is on the passenger side kick panel so that will need to be replaced

your friend has alot of work to do :-/

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Really, the only sure way to really deal with a car that has been flooded is to replace the wiring harnesses and every piece of electrical/electronics in it... There's a reason why cars that are in floods are considered a complete total loss.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
One of our customer had a flooded CRV and she vacuumed it out, cleaned it super well and guess what she did. Trade it in. Nothing against that, didn't break any laws to my knowledge. The "techs" at the dealer said it was okay...."Techs" huh?

Now she has a 2008 Accord. Smart girl if you ask me.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
@ supracentral... yeh I'm fairly aware of that... thus the *facepalm. He got jipped. He said he didn't know about the water damage till after he bought it. Still not a complete loss because of everything that came with the car, but still pretty shitty none-the-less. Personally, though, I'd still like to see the car restored regardless of the $, time, and effort involved.

(thanks for the advice atl88 and i bought :) )

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
welp.... it runs :) had to bypass the fuel pump relay until it's repaired (not going to drive it) and the gas in it is as old as the hills... but hey.... WIP

oh forgot to say... lights don't work either ATM