wastegate problem

gamer565

Mar 8, 2008
KS
Alright I have a 87 Na-T with a stock 7mgte in it now. As of now were rebuilding the turbo due to bad seals(hopefully that solves my other problem). Well i took the turbo off today and was messing with the wastegate just playing around and its a good thing i did cause it came to my attention that the wastegate is opening at just 1psi, and with the wastegate off i came pull up the rod with some ease.

Now to the question, Im doubting these is normal? is there anyway i can fix these? or do i need to get a newer one? or do i say fuck it and spend the money on a upgraded ct26/other turbo?

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Nope not normal. Should open at stock boost level, the spring is leakly worn/cracked. If you gotta rebuild anyways, I would go for the upgrade.

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
dumbo;1367501 said:
Nope not normal. Should open at stock boost level, the spring is leakly worn/cracked. If you gotta rebuild anyways, I would go for the upgrade.

I don't mean to 'thread jack', but suppose he wanted to keep his CT26... How would he go about replacing his wastegate actuator? Is there an aftermarket one that can be easily made to fit?

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Reiketsukan;1367548 said:
I don't mean to 'thread jack', but suppose he wanted to keep his CT26... How would he go about replacing his wastegate actuator? Is there an aftermarket one that can be easily made to fit?

Prolly get a used one I guess, but if the turbo needs a rebuilt...

gamer565

Mar 8, 2008
KS
dumbo;1367583 said:
Prolly get a used one I guess, but if the turbo needs a rebuilt...

well i finished rebuilding the turbo last night. so ill just look into getting a another actuator

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
gamer565;1368048 said:
well i finished rebuilding the turbo last night. so ill just look into getting a another actuator

Could you do me a favor and post where you find your new actuator? I think I'm in need of a new one myself. Thanks!

gamer565

Mar 8, 2008
KS
Reiketsukan;1368437 said:
Could you do me a favor and post where you find your new actuator? I think I'm in need of a new one myself. Thanks!

I seen one on Ebay, but i may try to find one off here if i can or any other supra forums.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
No one makes an aftermarket actuator. I was just looking and Jeff Tamulis was thinking of taking on the challenge, but that wond be for a while. You cant get them ne from toyota either without buying a whole new turbo, and im not sure if they still do that.

You can always make a turbo spacer and weld a wastegate port in it and just go external. You would have to weld the stock one closed, or go with a downpipe flange that holds th door closed (think the bic divider flange, but lower, so it puts pressure on the door).

The only thing to really do is to try and shim it a little. Or cut the used one open, use an aftermarket spring from an external wastegate and find a way to seal the hole back up, preferably a bolt up meathod incase you have to get to gte in there and change spring again.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
I was thinking of this too, just rebulding my ct-26 and using a newer wastegate. I know this isn't the greatest example, but could we use one of these:

http://www.best-price.com/search/la...oogle/altk/Automotive+Repair/koid/5818880076/

I know the ct-26 is welded to the piece that allows it to bolt to the housing, but say we cut that and had it welded to the new actuator?

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

Say, something like these two:

http://www.frsport.com/FRS-Garrett-...gate-2-Bolt-Bracket-for-T3-Turbos_p_9626.html
+
http://www.frsport.com/FRS-Universal-Internal-Wastegate-Actuator--480009-9--03095-41009_p_9624.html

Not specifically those parts, but similar parts, or even my own custom made bracket and an internal actuator.