Wastegate not opening?

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
I was wondering if there is anyway to check if the wastegate is opening up. Once I get to 15psi @ 4k rpm my boost breaks up, im thinking the wastegate isn't opening. Is there any way to check if it's opening? I've tried connecting a manual a/c air pump to it and pumped pressure into my vac line to the wastegate and it's not holding pressure. I replaced the vacuum line to it recently and it's still doing it. Any suggestions/help will be much appreciated thanks.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
need more details. internal wastegate or external? what brand? sound like the rubber diaphram inside the actuator is leaking, thus its not opening.

Wastegate.gif

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
bioskyline;1776521 said:
need more details. internal wastegate or external? what brand? sound like the rubber diaphram inside the actuator is leaking, thus its not opening.

Wastegate.gif

External wastegate the guy who installed it said it was a hks 38mm. It kinda looks like a pineapple

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
take the top screws off the top where you would change the spring and check the rubber for defects. also look at the housing for rough edges around. if its a knock off hks could be the reason its not working, is rough casting that tore the diaphram. the blow off valves have similar issues.

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
bioskyline;1776556 said:
no thats pressure fitting, and will connect to the port on the turbo's compressor housing

http://www.newcougar.org/gallery/files/1/6/wastegate_vacuum.gif just ignore the boost controller

I dont have a port coming out outta my turbo, I have a master power turbo.... I have a line running from intake manifold to the side of the wastegate not the top nipple. I'm not running a boost controller. Any input?

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
Yes I had a fcd that went bad so I took it off and ever since then my car's been all outta wack.... I never even saw 15psi, I only ever saw 10psi but once the fcd came out now I'm seening 15psi and at 15psi I'm breaking up bad 1-14 psi im fine. I'm just assuming that my wastegate isn't opening up cause I might be over boosting? Also I tired another air line and I hear an air leak, when I pinch the line to the wastegate the hissing goes away. I know there's nothing wrong with the line either. I noticed the other day that the bolt to the nipple on the wastegate was loose and I tightened it.

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
MDCmotorsports;1776585 said:
Wastegate pressure port HAS TO BE BEFORE the throttle body. No ifs ands or butts.

So I should tap a pressure port into my turbo?