wastegate hits the inside of downpipe??????

radicalskater

Banned
Jun 27, 2009
portland tennessee
this is the weirdest thing im wondering if this has happened to anyone else?
for the longest time could not get my turbo to push max boost, after a new intercooler and repairing several boost leaks still no change, took it off yesterday to see if the wastegate was getting hung up well come to find out its only opening up a quater of the way because its hitting the inside of the downpipe,happen to anyone else??

pln

Get the gate!
Apr 10, 2007
eskilstuna.SWEDEN
hmm.. my ct26 did that to, so thats normal. And that part must be working for you otherwise you should have big problem with boost taking off and result in fuelcut.

Have you tried to blow air in the turbo with compressor to see if ic-system is tight. That is the quickest way to find boostleaks.

Last edited:

radicalskater

Banned
Jun 27, 2009
portland tennessee
dumbo;1456106 said:
The wastegate opens to limit boost. So if your waste gate isn't opening your boost will rise. But you knew that;)

had a performance shop check for boost leaks they say they found them all and yet i still can't create boost, even when i take the line from the compresser off wich means the wastegate in theory should remain shut and give me full boost still same result no boost im really out of answers.

pln

Get the gate!
Apr 10, 2007
eskilstuna.SWEDEN
radicalskater;1456183 said:
had a performance shop check for boost leaks they say they found them all and yet i still can't create boost, even when i take the line from the compresser off wich means the wastegate in theory should remain shut and give me full boost still same result no boost im really out of answers.

When you had the ct26 off, did you check if the w-gate closed properly. That its firmly closed and the wastegate spring still is ok to resist some pressure.

Even if you take off the line from compressor the actuator can cause the problem. To be 100% sure you can secuire the arm holding the w-gate litt with wire or something, then try again.
And how did the shop proceed to 100% rule out boost leak? They can be very tricky to find. I would check it myself to be sure.

radicalskater

Banned
Jun 27, 2009
portland tennessee
pln;1456288 said:
When you had the ct26 off, did you check if the w-gate closed properly. That its firmly closed and the wastegate spring still is ok to resist some pressure.

Even if you take off the line from compressor the actuator can cause the problem. To be 100% sure you can secuire the arm holding the w-gate litt with wire or something, then try again.
And how did the shop proceed to 100% rule out boost leak? They can be very tricky to find. I would check it myself to be sure.

i have a new turbo on there its possible that the tension on the waste gate isn't sufficient i will check and make sure the wastegate is staying closed, ya the shope i took it to is where everyone here in nashville goes to have there cars built up for power they come highly recomended but i think im with you ill check for myself i have the backside of the down pipe off so i can see what is going on with the wastegate.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
The gate should be fairly stiff. If you have an aircompressor and regulator then you can see the cracking pressure of it. Thats the best way IMO.