Wastegate flange not flat

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
Ok so I just got my flange for my tialsport f40, the flange and sealing ring is machined to seal. After welding the flange warped. Is it going to be possible to machine it again? Or can I just belt sand it with high grit?
p1656010_1.jpg

sent from my ultimate droid

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
you could have it milled flat at a machine shop. One thing about your belt sander....some automotive machine shops use a giant belt sander mounted ridgid to a table. It is a special type that has a belt several feet wide. It is used to clean and flatten gasket surfaces on cast iron exhaust manifold and such. You could mount you belt sander in a vise upside down. Then hold the manifold to the moving belt to try and make it flat. It will take more material from one side than the other and that is normal, so the trick is to not try and rotate the flange around but just hold it one spot. It will make it flat, but maybe at a tiny angle. Will not hurt. If you try and rotate the flange around, you may find that you will have a high spot all around the middle. Try practicing on a like size chunk of metal. If it does not work, no harm done, just take it to a machine shop to be milled.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
yea i could probably just take it to carquest they did my head and block resurface job and they did an amazing job at it to. my belt sander has about 4-5" belt and is vertical and also has clamp mounts :)