wastegate/exhaust question? Yes, I tried searching.

nothingbetter

May 24, 2010
alberta
I have a 7mgte stuffed into a toyota pickup. I didn't do the swap myself, I just rebuilt the engine when I bought it. This is the first turbocharged engine I've worked on. I'm looking into aftermarket exhaust manifolds and it would seem that all of the manifolds I can find on ebay have a second "exit hole" besides where the turbo hooks up. Is this for a wastegate? My manifold doesn't have this "second hole" and looks more like the GE manifold. I'm hoping someone can explain whats going on here and if I have to change anything.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
nothingbetter;1758289 said:
I have a 7mgte stuffed into a toyota pickup. I didn't do the swap myself, I just rebuilt the engine when I bought it. This is the first turbocharged engine I've worked on. I'm looking into aftermarket exhaust manifolds and it would seem that all of the manifolds I can find on ebay have a second "exit hole" besides where the turbo hooks up. Is this for a wastegate? My manifold doesn't have this "second hole" and looks more like the GE manifold. I'm hoping someone can explain whats going on here and if I have to change anything.

Most aftermarket manifolds are made for aftermarket turbos (which don't have internal wastegates) and therefore require a wastegate port:

wsr776.jpg

The factory turbo has an internal wastegate and doesn't require a second hole:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I suspect you've simply got a factory turbo (CT26) with a factory manifold. (bottom pic)

If what you have looks different than the second pic, please post a photo.

nothingbetter

May 24, 2010
alberta
Thank you mister central! I believe that was the most helpful reply anyone has ever left for me. The manifold I have looks just like the one you posted a pic of. I was getting worried that the guy I bought it from had put the wrong parts on...again.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Stock turbo won't bolt up to that either.

So would either need to make an adapter and block off the waste gate hole. Or switch to a t4 turbo and external wastegate.