washers under the valve springs

Suprafast0422

Nov 14, 2006
Maryland
im sure most of you know what im talking about, the washers that are inbetween the springs and the head. i had everything gone thru and a 3 angle valve job. I have too get the washers back in and readjust all my valves correct? or is it not that involved?

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
The "washers" are indeed the seat and without them the springs will begin to eat their way into
the softer aluminium of the head. Not to mention spring tension would probably be off.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Suprafast0422;1658164 said:
im sure most of you know what im talking about, the washers that are inbetween the springs and the head. i had everything gone thru and a 3 angle valve job. I have too get the washers back in and readjust all my valves correct? or is it not that involved?

I'm assuming it was assembled without them. If you keep each part together (valve, retainer, locks, bucket, and shim) it shouldn't need readjusting. Doesn't mean it won't, but it shouldn't.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
For a minute I thought someone was asking about shimming the springs for a higher seat pressure, until I clicked on the thread. Normally a valve job includes re-assembly of the head. The shop that did the work did not do that for you?