Wanting to update steering wheel... column okay?

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
Specifically, I have an 86.5 and want to update to a black wheel. In order to make it look halfway decent, I need to get a black surround for the top of the column (enclosing the ignition lock, etc). The question I have is whether a 89+ surround would fit with my column or if there was a change in the 89 cars? I know there are a zillion changes in ignition locks through the mk3 series and I've heard reference to that being due in part to changes in the columns. Just wanted to know if I need to look out for any subsequent incompatablilty with the trim pieces.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You will have to modify the lower part of the cover for it to fit. The steering wheel will fit tho. Not sure if the cruise control plug is different tho.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I seem to remember Jeff Lange doing a write up on how to use the later style wheels in an early car the proper way so all the cruise control buttons worked correctly.

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
Poodles;1889725 said:
I seem to remember Jeff Lange doing a write up on how to use the later style wheels in an early car the proper way so all the cruise control buttons worked correctly.

Yeah, it was a good one, I have that bookmarked. Just concerned about that trim. Hopefully it won't suck. ;)

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
Aaaah, that's encouraging. I was afraid it was going to be something tricky that would inevitably result in my having to trash the part after mucking it up.

Thanks, hvy!

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
What you want is the steering column cover from an 89 manual transmission car. It will be black and fit perfectly. Any other year/options will not be correct. If you want everything to be completely plug and play, you'll also get the entire combination switch from an 89 as well. This means the slipring, turn signal and wiper switches, etc. You'll also want the 89 steering wheel. If you have all of those things, everything will bolt in and work without any modifications except the "CRUISE MAIN" switch, which will require additional wiring work in the dash to function and replace the existing Cruise On/Off switch, this procedure is outlined in my previous guide.

Caveats: This post specifically applies to USA cars, if you are looking for parts outside of the USA, there are some other cars that have the correct parts. In the USA, only 89's did.

Jeff