Wanted: pic of 89 steering wheel electrical connection

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
I picked up a 89 non-airbag steering wheel to put into my 87 but the plug was removed.. So now I have 4 loose wires and I'm not sure what order they go in.

I can't wait to get rid of the pre-89 steering wheel, so I'm hoping someone can help me out by providing a picture of the plug.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Pre 89 cruise control.jpg89+ cruise control.JPGThe 4 wires are probably for the cruise control and horn which has an extra wire for the cruise control that the pre 89 does not have.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
That's all I need! (Well, that and a 89 cruise relay)
Ill be outside installing this shortly.

Oh and Dan, those climate control displays showed up today. Ill install mine (probably this weekend) and let you know how it goes.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
What colors did you end up buying?

Oh- Forgot to mention; Go buy the Radio Shack 16-pin sockets for them. They come in 2-packs.
You clip them in half, and solder THEM into the boards, instead of the displays themselves. Makes it WAY easier if you ever need/ want to swap them,
and it spaces them to the proper height above the board.

In this pic, you can see the split set installed:
p1948663_1.jpg

Also, buy a desoldering iron or desolder wick. You'll need lots of it.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
That's some good info, thanks supraguy. I got 5 of the .4in 2-digit displays in red. I figured I would grab a few extra because the parts were nothing compared to the price of shipping. The rest of the climate control is white with red indicators.

Got the steering wheel and combo switches swapped in. Horn, cruise, switches and everything work!
Love the soft click of the turn signal compared to the hard clunk of before.

Thanks for the help and tanks to Jeff Lange for this thread: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?60-How-To-89-non-airbag-steering-wheel-on-pre-89