Walbro pump a drop in?

van1684

Apr 19, 2005
chicago
do i just drop this in? do i have to change anything else in the system. i have a 7mgte bone stock. i remember someone telling me that the j tube restriction had to be removed. not sure if that was with the fpr or the walbro pump. please reply soon i want to change my pump in a few minutes lol.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
IMHO don't put the fuel pump in there until you block off the j-tube and install a good AFPR like the aeromotive kit HKF and suprasport sell. It would also be smart to do the 12 volt mod in the process, search for that one, it's been covered on here before ;).

If you don't do the first two things you run a great risk of shortening the life of your new pump, and blowing the shit outa the stock fuel pressure regulator.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You can install a Walbro on a stock system and likely it will work fine...but, you do risk blowing your old, well used stock FPR due to the higher flow/pressure of the Walbro.

You will have to splice the wiring connector for the Walbro on to your stock FP wiring and use something (copper wire, big rad clamp, etc) to secure it to the FP bracket it hangs in the tank on. You do need to remove the "J" tube on the return line or at least drill the orifice out.

The Walbro upgrade is commonly done after or at the same time you upgrade to an APFR.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
I've got 3 years on a Walbro with the original stock regulator, I haven't done the 12v mod, and I've still got the original j-tube in. No problems at all. I do highly recommend an AFPR and j-tube removal, but they are far from required.

SLO-MK3

Not on the 1jz bandwagon
Nov 4, 2006
Plumas Lake, CA
Steve_N said:
I will be doing this shortly & I have everything but the Walbro install kit. Whats in this kit so I can source localy? If I need just the kit who would I order it from?

Thanks

So you have the pump, but no install kit.Is that correct?

This is everything you need here. Lets find out what you don't have, so you can find out exactly what you need.

p547529_1.jpg