Walboro enough pump for 1000cc, gt40r 2jz?

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I am assuming that my 18 year old stock mkiii 7m fuel pump may not be enough for my newly installed 2jz, 1000cc, gt40r setup. Or atleast it's not a bad idea to upgrade anyways due to pump age and such.

Will a single walboro be enough so satisfy this new setups thirst for fuel?

I've heard of duel Walboro setups but isn't this just way over kill?

How loud is this fuel pump can you hear the thing during idle?

And lastly should I also run large fuel lines to the front also?

Many thanks in advance for your guys help.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ya, I just now found there online calculator and it's not enough for sure.

Are genuine MKIV fuel pumps actually that much better flowing for the extra $$$ they cost or am I in the same boat as I might guess requiring a dual pump setup.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
MKIV pumps are Denso. They are leaps and bounds better than the Walbro. Of course you could always do the Bosch 040 (intank) or 044 (external) which are high pressure versions.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
mkiv twin turbo denso pumps are one of the best intank pumps you can get.

IMO dont even waste a dollar on the walbro.

if youre friends with anyone with a shop they should be able to get you a denso pump for 230.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Walbros are GARBAGE. 255lph might sound like a lot of flow, but they start dropping flow FAST once you start increasing boost pressure. Even all the 240 guys who seem to think the walbro is god, upgrade once they start pushing 15psi, because the pumps simply cannot flow against static pressure.

Say you want to be able to run up to 24psi on your turbo. Add on 43psi base fuel pressure, and you're at 67psi of static pressure on the pump. A standard walbro@67psi, is only going to flow about 150lph.

6x1000cc injectors, at 85% duty cycle will require 306lph of fuel.

You would require two walbros in parallel, and even then you're right on the edge, and that's not even including the pressure drop from the fuel lines themselves. You're looking at 3 to be safe.

Personally, I run a MKIV TT pump in tank, with a bosch 044 in-line, and it provides more than enough fuel for my 800cc injectors. The bosch 044 can flow 300lph at no head, and around 250lph@70psi. Feed it with a 2nd pump (like the Denso MKIV TT pump), and the flow is right back up there.

Have you ever looked at a walbro? They're tiny pumps. Compare that to an 044, which is larger than a pop can, it becomes pretty obvious which one is the better pump.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
I have or will have (I have all the parts) a MKIV pump feeding a suge tank with 2x Bosch 044's feeding fuel up to my 880cc inj. Fuel is one thing you do not want to be short of.

Jeremy

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Flateric;1143174 said:
Thanks big time for the detailed and quick answers guys, Very much appreciated!

Do I need to run bigger lines also?

Or are the existing ones enough?

It's personal preference. The smaller the line, the greater the pressure drop across them will be. Line size has little to do with actual flow. If you have a pump system capable of flowing through high pressure, then stock lines are fine. If you have less than stellar pumps that like to drop flow at higher pressures, line upgrades are usually recommended.

Go stop by RCTS if you haven't already, and take a look at Reg's MKIV. IIRC, it still runs stock lines, and makes 680whp. Plenty of people on this forum will tell you stock lines are more than enough for 500+whp.

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
figgie;1143079 said:
MKIV pumps are Denso. They are leaps and bounds better than the Walbro. Of course you could always do the Bosch 040 (intank) or 044 (external) which are high pressure versions.

figgie, how good is the 040 compared to the 044? (I know one is in tank and the other inline (but can be intank as well)). Would an MKIV intank and 044 inline be a good set-up for big power? (~650 rwhp)

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
I'm running a stock pump to a 2L surge tank ($110 shipped on ebay) and have an external 044 pulling from that into dual -6AN feeds to the rail. I'm running 680cc injectors for now but am planning on running bigger ones later on.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
turbogate;1143653 said:
figgie, how good is the 040 compared to the 044? (I know one is in tank and the other inline (but can be intank as well)). Would an MKIV intank and 044 inline be a good set-up for big power? (~650 rwhp)

They are the same!

040 is for intank use.

044 is for external use and can not be used internally. Flow number wise.... exactly the same.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
I like this picture!
BTW I would use one denso in tank, and two Bosch 044's and a surge tank!

p1144766_1.jpg

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I also was told recently that a sard (sp?) all alone would be enough for the job and also is virtually silent. Is there any other available single pump solutions I should consider?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
figgie;1144080 said:
They are the same!

040 is for intank use.

044 is for external use and can not be used internally. Flow number wise.... exactly the same.

Why can't an 044 be used internally? Install a fuel sock at the bottom, and you're done.

I believe IJ ran an 044 in-tank when he was running gasoline still....

As for the SARD pump, it's an upgraded Denso pump. They very well may flow a lot, but I don't trust a pump until I see a flow chart for it.