w58 questions

Well we're converting a 87 auto to manual.

We have all the bolts, fly wheel, clutch, everything in but i need to know...How much gear oil does a w58 tranny need and where do we put it in at and is there a special procedure...Because i don't wanna mess anything up.

Also is there a special way to put the clutch on...since this is a brand new flywheel and clutch...does it really matter? The tsrm guide online is kinda confusing. I've never had to deal with a clutch before so....:1zhelp:

So i was wondering,when i put the line on the master cylinder....what kind of fluid do we use for the clutch?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Oh my.... the tsrm holds every single answer.

But i will tell you:

The clutch system needs brake fluid. DOT 3 or higher I believe.
The tranny takes something just over 2 quarts so get 3 quarts.
You fill it by using a pump and filling through the side port. There is another more creative way described on multiple threads here.
as for the clutch... read the tsrm and if you have a specific question I would try to answer it.

I'm glad you're being cautious and not just guessing at this stuff, but the tsrm explains it pretty well.:)

yeah i know but it's hard navigating around sometimes.....Plus it's for a 91 online and i didn't want there to be something different between the 2....:]

I've figured out how it goes on there etc and the torque ratios etc.

But the only thing i don't under stand is, if i have a brand new flywheel so do i just put the pressure plate on there anywhere or is there a special marking?....i know there are the dial pins...those are in etc. so think that'll work.

Something just over 2 quarts? glad i'm not Guessing, you say?
;]

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
BlackDynamite;911983 said:
yeah i know but it's hard navigating around sometimes.....Plus it's for a 91 online and i didn't want there to be something different between the 2....:]

I've figured out how it goes on there etc and the torque ratios etc.

But the only thing i don't under stand is, if i have a brand new flywheel so do i just put the pressure plate on there anywhere or is there a special marking?....i know there are the dial pins...those are in etc. so think that'll work.

Something just over 2 quarts? glad i'm not Guessing, you say?
;]
New clutch and new flywheel doesn't make any difference I don't think. If you ever take it off any time you should mark the FW and the PP so you install it back on in the same place.

You have to put the clutch disk on the right way, usally is marked "flywheel side" or "this side to motor".

You can fill the tranny after you have everything done under neath buy pouring it in the shifter hole until it trickels out the side plug, 2.2 or 2.4 I forget which but a little over 2 quarts.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
the w58 is the same for any year supra, afaik. You really should go to the Toyota dealer and buy a TSRM for your exact car. I've spent over 2 grand on my car and that 50 bucks was the best value out of any of it. ;)

I'm actually getting a TSRM for my car tomorrow:]

But as long as it will work for his, it's ok.

Check my sig we got it in and but it wasn't labeled this side out etc. But i busted out the hanes, tsrm, and the clutch Picture and went by that.

It was a pain in the ass to make it line up....even with it being out of the car....:[

I turned the crank a little and it popped right in....