W58 Clutch

DriftShin

DriftingShinobi
Aug 17, 2007
Lusaka
Ok, did a search, couldn't find anything. Anyway, heres my problem. My clutch is going. Damn thing drove me crazy coz i thot it was a whole host of things that were causing my loss of power. Suspected the turbos, the IC.... It was only when i went through an AA Car Maintenance Manual that i matched all the symptoms, specially the increase in engine speed without corresponding road speed. Then it hit me that reverse gear has also been giving a bit of trouble. Yeah, Daft, i know.

Nway, cant find anything on the net (my searches anyway) about an oem clutch for the W58. Is there one from another car that can match? I've gotten tired of the damn thing guzzling fuel coz i really gota push to get some real speed.

Ohh, btw, i had my 1st spin in the supra a few days ago. went into a round-about too fast, locked the rears and did a full 180 (++). lucky it was round 1am with no cars around.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
is your car a turbo? Why are you looking for clutches for a w58? If you car is a factory turbo 5spd you have an R154 transmission...

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Yea he is right ..... But the clutch disk are interchangeable for the w58 and r154. It’s the pressure plate and flywheel that is different. If you do have a w58 tranny I have a 6 puck clutch disk and a heavy duty pressure plate that was grabbing and holding very well at 14-15psi and it still felt very close to stock but that was until I found a r154 for a steal along with a very good price on the stock flywheel and pressure plate. I have it sitting but I can let it go for cheap …… Just let me know

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
UUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH :umno: ....... If he using a w58 stock disk and he is boosting on that shit well I have a few words THAT SHIT WONT LAST. Ask me how i know ...... Upgrade that fuker. I have some upgraded clutch parts that will allow you to use to w58 very close if not past its threshold of 400tq

DriftShin

DriftingShinobi
Aug 17, 2007
Lusaka
fiyota said:
is your car a turbo? Why are you looking for clutches for a w58? If you car is a factory turbo 5spd you have an R154 transmission...

Yeah its a turbo but its a 1G-GTE so it comes with the W58 not the R154. I hate the fact that i have th supra when i'm here and not when i was still in aussie. Damn parts are hard as hell to find and if u do find them, they are OEM. Need upgraded sht, single turbo setup, proper exhaust setup, hell want to go for the 1JZ-GTE, wuld want a 2J but wont be as easy to get or install.

Nway, thanks all for the replies!!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
bountykilla0118 said:
UUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH :umno: ....... If he using a w58 stock disk and he is boosting on that shit well I have a few words THAT SHIT WONT LAST. Ask me how i know ...... Upgrade that fuker. I have some upgraded clutch parts that will allow you to use to w58 very close if not past its threshold of 400tq

explain yourself. by "upgraded clutch parts" do you mean your actual clutch setup is capable of holding 400tq? or that magically the transmission will take 400tq after you put a good clutch in it?

unless you've opened something besides the bellhousing, i call BS, you drive like a grandma, never floor it, or you have a magical w58 that defies the laws of physics.

thanks IJ. for that line

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
shaeff said:
explain yourself. by "upgraded clutch parts" do you mean your actual clutch setup is capable of holding 400tq? or that magically the transmission will take 400tq after you put a good clutch in it?

unless you've opened something besides the bellhousing, i call BS, you drive like a grandma, never floor it, or you have a magical w58 that defies the laws of physics.

thanks IJ. for that line

Ummm shaeff your are joking right. I grave like who's gradma? My entire family drives like a bunch of idiots. But to answer your question i did say clutch parts (didn’t i?) and not tranny parts. Which I think the clutch assembly is made up of a disk, pressure, flywheel, pilot bearing, throw-out bearings, and bolts :)

I did say that the stock clutch would not support the power and i danced around the idea that the w58 can handle up to 400rwhp without blowing its guts out all over the road.... but whatever........ However my w58 had well over 350,000 miles on it before it started to grind and this was after almost 2 years of 14psi with my little setup

The clutch parts that i was referring to are a heavy duty pressure plate which not 100% about the lbs but it has a disk which has happens to be a 6 puck ceramic disk and a stock flywheel ......... It supposed to be suited for 50-60% over stock so with that leave you with a smile and have a nice day :eek:wned:

You are still one my favorites on the forum

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
oh i have no doubt in my mind that there are clutches available to hold the power, i was simply implying that with any sort of agressive driving, the w58 is going to stress and kill itself.

for what it's worth, i'm using a clutchmasters stage 3 in my w58, and put down 289rwhp/295rwtq on a mustang dyno (known to read "low"), and my transmission still feels great, but it wouldn't surprise me if i floored it and it spit it's guts all over the road, either. ;)

i most likely came across as more of an asshole than i intended. ;) but i still stand by my point that a stock internal w58 won't hold 400rwhp for long with spirited driving. it's really a time bomb waiting to go off.

if i blew mine, i'd put in the r154 i have sitting in my garage, but until then, i'll stick with my silky smooth shifts. :)

(heh, hopefully you were being sarcastic when telling me what clutch parts are made up of... otherwise you guys/gals must think i'm really stupid :p)

i'm dancing around that very same idea, as my new turbo will support about 420rwhp, and as i said, i'm running the '58 til it blows.

my setup: CM stage 3, fidanza LWFW, w58.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Yea i was being funny I would not want to take a stab at the rust bucket master :) ..... I was putting down either 270 or 280rwhp and over 300rwtq for over 2 years on my old w58 that I used when my red 89 NA was totaled. So I am with you 100% but I believe if my w58 was not so close and it could have been well passed 400,000 miles that it would have lasted up until now if not longer.

Like i said over a year ago in my book you are one of the respectable members in the community….. Well at least to me