W58 clutch fork help!

surffer227

Jul 28, 2014
I'm running a 1jzgte with a 2jzge clutch, w58 tranny and a 7m clutch fork extended about an inch so the slave can grab it, could this be part of my clutch slipping problem? Or do people ever do this?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Were you able to set your clutch pedal freeplay properly? I dont't know anything about that swap but if you have the proper freeplay, then the clutch isnt hanging up and it wont cause it to slip

surffer227

Jul 28, 2014
Well I resurfaced my flywheel and PP and it seems to be grabbing better.. Very strange...

Roger UK

Jun 20, 2010
Newcastle
I replaced my 7M-GE with a 2JZ-GE from a Mk4 Supra . . retained the W58, just used the bell housing from a Mk4 (as it also uses a W58) to mate the engine to my gearbox.

However, one of the things I discovered before going ahead (did the whole swap in 2 days!) was that the clutch forks are completely different - can't see how you could use the 7M-GE fork at all.

A 7M-GE clutch kit is exactly the same as the 2JZ-GE one, so no problems there . . . and although the Mk3 Slave cylinder is different, it still fits on the Mk4 bellhousing and works fine.

The one thing I DID find is that there was a fair bit of pedal slack (presumably because of the longer fork lever) . . . but managed to take that all up by adjusting the rod that the clutch pedal pushes (very fiddly, upside down in the footwell!)

Pictures of the 2JZ-GE in my car HERE

I'm slightly confused by your set-up, as the 1JZ-GTE in the Mk3 is usually mated up to the R154, which uses a PULL clutch, not a PUSH type . . . but I guess there's no reason why you can't use a 7M-GE/2JZ-GE clutch set up, as long as you have the right flywheel (presumably from a 2JZ-GE)