VPC acts as a FCD - HOW?

martin p

1JZ-GTE powered Supra.
Feb 5, 2006
East coast. UK
87witmoreboost;1267251 said:
Haha. I know - Everyone seems to slowly gain piggybacks, then sell them all for standalone.

Your reasoning behind the FCON makes total sense - I gotcha.

Now - Could I share the pressure sensor for the VPC with the FCON? (avoid buying one for an FCON that I may get that doesn't have a sensor)

Yes you can apparently(from the info i have seen), just splice the wires into the pressure sensor loom,

I will be doing that if and when i fit my F-con, after i work out which chip i need for it to work with a vpc.

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
martin p;1267917 said:
Yes you can apparently(from the info i have seen), just splice the wires into the pressure sensor loom,

I will be doing that if and when i fit my F-con, after i work out which chip i need for it to work with a vpc.

Makes total sense. It's prob the same 0-5v signal and voltages can be shared.

Is there anyone that can say "Yes it works. I've done it"?

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
I don't see why it shouldn't work. I've tapped into the VPC pressure sensor signal wire to log MAP with the Innovate O2 wideband. Don't see why this same signal can't be fed to any other HKS device that uses the same MAP sensor.

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
BlackDevilSupra;1268314 said:
I don't see why it shouldn't work. I've tapped into the VPC pressure sensor signal wire to log MAP with the Innovate O2 wideband. Don't see why this same signal can't be fed to any other HKS device that uses the same MAP sensor.

Word to that.

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
New question for this lovely thread.

I bought the VPC, F-CON, and GCC. The GCC can hook up to the VPC directly or to the F-CON through the harness that comes with the GCC. So, which one should I do, and does it matter?

I have a feeling that it doesn't matter, but I say that in little confidence.

Edit: AND... I have the stock injector chip for both. Do I need the "For VPC" chip for the F-CON? If not, why would they make it? What is the difference? Crisp, I bet you can help here.

Last edited:

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
87witmoreboost;1278947 said:
New question for this lovely thread.

I bought the VPC, F-CON, and GCC. The GCC can hook up to the VPC directly or to the F-CON through the harness that comes with the GCC. So, which one should I do, and does it matter?

I have a feeling that it doesn't matter, but I say that in little confidence.

Edit: AND... I have the stock injector chip for both. Do I need the "For VPC" chip for the F-CON? If not, why would they make it? What is the difference? Crisp, I bet you can help here.

I think I have the answers to this, but need to go back and review the manuals to confirm. It's nearly one-AM here and I JUST finished helping my 9-year old finish his science fair project... and I'm beat!

Gotta hit the road in a few hours heading out of state, then in Canada tomorrow, and back in a couple days. I'll TRY to grab the literature from my files before I head out tomorrow morning... then get back when I can.

(I'm almost CERTAIN I have the "FOR VPC" chip... but then, I've made at LEAST 3 chip changes in my progression, so I want to confirm.)

...all my HKS soup has grown incrementally... over MANY years, so the memory fades.:cry:

-crisp

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Going by memory, you are meant to hook the GCC directly up to the VPC when you are running a VPC/FCON combo.

Regarding the chips, I think there is only ever a with VPC chip for the FCON which works with 550 cc injectors and you are also running the 550cc injector chip in the VPC.

IF you are running stock injectors you run the normal chip in both, there is not a with VPC chip for the FCON that works with 440cc injectors

There is a third chip for the FCON that is for 550cc injectors but with the stock air flow meter. I never tried it, but I bet you could run this chip and the VPC with the stock injector chip to mimick a stock air flow meter, though this would not be ideal.

Ah and now dont you have one more HKS gadget to wire up???

Where were you guys back when everyone was giving me such a hard time about all my piggybacks?

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
hks_trd;1279624 said:
Going by memory, you are meant to hook the GCC directly up to the VPC when you are running a VPC/FCON combo.

Regarding the chips, I think there is only ever a with VPC chip for the FCON which works with 550 cc injectors and you are also running the 550cc injector chip in the VPC.

IF you are running stock injectors you run the normal chip in both, there is not a with VPC chip for the FCON that works with 440cc injectors

There is a third chip for the FCON that is for 550cc injectors but with the stock air flow meter. I never tried it, but I bet you could run this chip and the VPC with the stock injector chip to mimick a stock air flow meter, though this would not be ideal.

Ah and now dont you have one more HKS gadget to wire up???

Where were you guys back when everyone was giving me such a hard time about all my piggybacks?

As always, thanks. You are quite savvy with anything HKS. I will run with the chips I have. Hooking GCC directly to VPC makes sense as it's the smallest direct plug, where the harness to the FCON is like an "additional" harness. I'm dying to get this stuff in (and the IPM will be the coolest lightshow ever).

As for people giving you a hard time for piggybacks, they are awesome. Still using stock ECU but making it do new tricks. It's like not cheating on your wife - just showing her what does it for ya.

Edit: hks_trd, I do have another device to wire. The inj. pulse monitor. Can't wait to get that lightshow going.

Last edited:

martin p

1JZ-GTE powered Supra.
Feb 5, 2006
East coast. UK
Slightly off topic, I picked up a complete F-con unit with this chip in it, Can anyone help ID it?
Taken from top of Chip,
Toshiba
TMM2764ADI-20
Japan 8804 EFI
VPP 12.5V

Was told its a 550cc chip but need confirmation,(so i can sell it on)As i need a stock 440 chip(vpc compatible)

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
martin p;1280394 said:
Slightly off topic, I picked up a complete F-con unit with this chip in it, Can anyone help ID it?
Taken from top of Chip,
Toshiba
TMM2764ADI-20
Japan 8804 EFI
VPP 12.5V

Was told its a 550cc chip but need confirmation,(so i can sell it on)As i need a stock 440 chip(vpc compatible)

As for that chip code, can't help. If you need the stock injector chip, the post by hks_trd above states that if you are using the stock injectors, you need the stock injector chip, not the "for vpc". That one is only for someone with a VPC that has the 550 chip in the VPC. All chips for the FCON are VPC compatible.

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Question...again.

I have two links for wiring the VPC. The first shows how to wire it with a SAFC.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11830&d=1164700038

It's very straight forward and I assume I can use this for the wiring of my setup where I am not using the SAFC, but instead hardwiring it to the ECU jumper I bought. My FCON also came without a plug and play harness so I bought the jumper to do all my hardwiring on so that I don't have to touch the stock wiring harness.

The question I have is that in this other link I have, it mentions using resistors that came in the original VPC harness.

http://oldschool.supracentral.com/htm/hardwire.htm

Do I need to worry about resistors? There are only 4 wires on the VPC harness for me to wire, being power, ground, RPM, and "AFM signal" to send to the ECU mocking the AFM. I am guessing there isn't a need for resistors, but does anyone have any experience with this?

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
There are 2 reasons why you need resistors in a VPC harness

1) For the early ECU there are resistors which mimick the HAC sensor IIRC

2) For all ECUS there is a resistor which creates a dummy signal to replace the intake air temperature signal which will no longer be fed to the ECU as the air flow meter has gone on vacation from the engine bay.

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
hks_trd;1282880 said:
There are 2 reasons why you need resistors in a VPC harness

1) For the early ECU there are resistors which mimick the HAC sensor IIRC

2) For all ECUS there is a resistor which creates a dummy signal to replace the intake air temperature signal which will no longer be fed to the ECU as the air flow meter has gone on vacation from the engine bay.

I definitely know about the AFM plug resistor. 2200 or 2400 ohm (read two different things), but wanted to know about the others. The AFM resistor can be plugged right into the AFM plug under the hood, and would be easier than cutting into the ECU harness.

So you think I also need to resist the HAC wire? I gotta look at the wiring diagram to find that one.

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
...hey... back from Canada several days now... but haven't followed up on all this, however, I saw there may be a need for the stock 440cc PFC-Fcon chip. I PROBABLY have one in my shed.

As far as the "ID" on the chips, I don't think the actual CHIP ID is very helpful, but rather there is a "STICKER" that should be on it identifying what it is mapped with. (The ID is the map, not the hardware inherent.)

Does that make sense?

-crisp

martin p

1JZ-GTE powered Supra.
Feb 5, 2006
East coast. UK
crisp;1282978 said:
...hey... back from Canada several days now... but haven't followed up on all this, however, I saw there may be a need for the stock 440cc PFC-Fcon chip. I PROBABLY have one in my shed.

As far as the "ID" on the chips, I don't think the actual CHIP ID is very helpful, but rather there is a "STICKER" that should be on it identifying what it is mapped with. (The ID is the map, not the hardware inherent.)

Does that make sense?

-crisp

Sadly the "sticker" is missing from my chip, it was meant to be a 550 chip,

Yes I will be looking for a 440 chip for it, To match my Vpc.

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
martin p;1283203 said:
Sadly the "sticker" is missing from my chip, it was meant to be a 550 chip,

Yes I will be looking for a 440 chip for it, To match my Vpc.

The adhesive on those stickers "gives up" over the years and with the heat cycles... if it doesn't just come off from contact when handling it.

PM me if you want my chip. I'll try to take a look at the one's I have and see what is on them. I remember by 550cc chip sticker was "loose" when I first installed it, so I took it off and taped it to the PFC-Fcon housing... (I think!)

I'll check today.

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
p1283437_1.jpg

^^^ That's in the PFC-Fcon now. Running 550cc + VPC (among OTHER stuff...:biglaugh:)

p1283437_2.jpg

^^^ I believe the TOP one is original MAF with 440cc, then the next one is VPC with 440cc.

p1283437_3.jpg

^^^ They've been sitting in my shed in these little protective cases... I might just want to keep them, as then I have the whole set.;)

(I'm PRETTY SURE that HKS can provide the different maps.)

-crisp

martin p

1JZ-GTE powered Supra.
Feb 5, 2006
East coast. UK
Thanks for the pictures, Yep I can source a new chip from an American Hks delaer As Hks Europe don't stock them any more,

I just need to be 100% on part number, Unless you decide to sell me a 440 for use in my F-con with Vpc link up.

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
martin p;1283469 said:
Thanks for the pictures, Yep I can source a new chip from an American Hks delaer As Hks Europe don't stock them any more,

I just need to be 100% on part number, Unless you decide to sell me a 440 for use in my F-con with Vpc link up.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was right at about $100 or so for the chips. I got to thinking that each of these is worth more than that to me just to have on hand!:biglaugh:

I may have other literature on these matters... but it looks like I'd have to dig to find it, as my stuff got pretty shuffled after water in our basement awhile back.:cry:

-crisp

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
I read through the manual for the VPC about the "option out" knob for the FCON, but I don't see the difference between this is the gain knob. It states it allows for additional fuel above stock fuel cut off. Does this mean that the regular gain knob only adjust fuel up to the stock fuel cut off (and that the VPC DOES cap the AFM signal to prevent fuel cut, answering this thread's questions), but the option out allows for fuel trim adjustment AFTER fuel cut off?