voltage suggestion

1sic7

owner of the 5 day mk3
Apr 2, 2005
Long Island NY
www.ifxcc.com
ok ever since i put in my dual FAL fans the voltage would drop from 14v's all the way down to 11 when they kick on im thinking of dropping in a optima red top battery and i might splurge for the PHR upgraded altanator with maybe a ground kit.......any other suggestions

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
I've got dual FALs too and I don't have that much problems. The voltage does drop at idle, but that's because the motor isn't cranking the alternator enough. If the alternator doesn't put out enough current, like a idle, than the battery carries the rest of the load. So if your battery has to carry a lot of load, than I guess it might drop the overall voltage. If your system is down to 11 volts at idle, its probably not a big deal. The voltage drop when you crank the starter will be lower than that. I personally wouldn't worry if the voltage drops at idle.

Shawndude

Mar 30, 2005
Van BC
Let's go over some basics here.

The battery will sit at around 12.5 volts when fully charged and no load on it. With the engine running, if you see the voltage any higher than this, the battery is doing nothing but taking power from the alternator (to keep it charged).

An alternator is regulated to provide as much current as the system demands, while keeping the voltage under about 14 Volts. If you ask for it to provide more current than it can supply, the voltage will drop.

The slower the alternator spins, the less power it can supply, hence the idle is when most problems arise.

If you're running at less than 12.5 volts with the engine running, your battery is getting discharged and will get damaged. A battery is considered fully discharged once it reaches around 10 Volts (no load). A regular car battery will lose about 20% of it's capacity even if it gets discharged once. A deep cycle one won't.

Anyway..................have your car battery checked to see if it's healthy. Not because it provides any power with the engine running in a proper situation, but because an old or damaged unit can cause extra draw on the alternator, which you could be used to power your fans instead.

Shawndude

Mar 30, 2005
Van BC
A 10 second voltage drop test will save you 3 hours of labor, and 30 bucks on "special" wires.

You guys always troubleshoot without testing first, or what? Do you dive into a pool without seeing how deep it is first?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
and why isnt anyone listening to shawndude?... : sigh : save yourselves some time and money!

-shaeff