vipec 44 - 7mgte - ignition

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
what are ignition alternatives for a vipec v44. looks like wiring up the stock coils might be a pita due to the igniter, i saw the post on 1zzfe cop setup, but it looks like the coils sit to high. so basically im looking for somthing that can possibly be easy on my pocket but do the job

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
im really confused about the stock cps wiring, maybe someone can chime in and explain this to me. vipec 44 has 2 triggers trigger 1 is for crank position and trigger 2 is for cam position, looking at the stock pickups it looks like the 24 tooth is cam pos. and the 1 tooth is crank.

the 24 tooth has 1 pickup and the single tooth has 2 pickups, but if im looking at this right in total the wires are 6 wires, the plug has 4 wires, so im going to guess that in the weather seal that the 2 pickups for the single tooth pickups are wired together to make basically 1 signal for both pickups so that the stand alone can tell when the piston is at tdc an bdc.

my pickups and wires are new and im just at the stage of wiring this up now and kinda lost at what i am to use lol. im guessing wiring stock "if my thought is right on it so far" will work fine. but if not i just use the 24 tooth pickup and 1 single tooth pickup as the sync.

i know someone with more brain power on this subject will have the answer so please explain what i may or may not know.

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here is how you should wire it. I see you are going to be running COP on your thread so you will not want to connect the upper #1 VR sensor.

You will want to setup for a non-missing tooth wheel and set it to 24 teeth and set it to half speed since it is being ran off the cams.

For cam position you just want to set it to an one tooth wheel.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
gennro;1595368 said:
Yes, Coil and plug as IJ said so you can wire them sequentially or waste spark.

Don't mind the megasquirt references but this has some good information on the dwell and wiring of the LS2 coils.
http://www.megamanual.com/seq/coils.htm#ls2

coil near plug :p its ok i thought thats what cnp was to had to google it lol didnt ring a bell to me. I know about the info on megasquirts site, did a big thread on ls2 coils with all that info on it.

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

gennro;1594885 said:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here is how you should wire it. I see you are going to be running COP on your thread so you will not want to connect the upper #1 VR sensor.

You will want to setup for a non-missing tooth wheel and set it to 24 teeth and set it to half speed since it is being ran off the cams.

For cam position you just want to set it to an one tooth wheel.

so in short
24 tooth no tooth missing using the 1 lower sensor :p

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
You could run the DH61 ignitor like for my mod for AEM setups to ditch the stock ignitor and associated problems. You can then use the stock coils, or 2JZ-GE waste fire coils.