VIN freakout!

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
Ok, I purchased my '87 targa car about two years ago under the impression that it was all original. Upon review of the coolant ports on the thermostat housing, I discovered that there is no "3rd" port on my housing. My A/C has not worked since I bought the car and now I know why. The A/C coolant temp. sensor is missing, there is no "3rd" port on my housing, and I can not find the red/white wire or connector for it.

I also just discovered that the chassis, and engine VINs do not match, but both numbers register as '87 turbo targa cars. I'm stumped, and tired. Can anyone come up with some ideas of the history of my car? Also the car has no A.B.S, but does have TEMS.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
The 9th digit was suggested to be the difference on carfax. The 9th is an 8 on the chassis, and 4 was suggested on the engine VIN.

Also the last 7.

Chassis: 0031421
Engine: 0042108

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
Poodles;1839196 said:
Engine number is not matched to the VIN on these cars.

That's nice to know!

I was not very concerned with the engine not being original, more so as to why the thermostat housing was swapped. I will be hunting down the A/C sensor wire, and a new housing to try and remedy my A/C problem.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Its not his problem. I just did a ge to gte swap. The ge harness had no ac fan wire. The gte did. My ac still works amazing despite not hooking that wire to anything.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2