VIN Etched into Windows??

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
I just bought a 92 Supra and it has the VIN number etched into both front windows, the two rear windows and perhaps the hatch (didn't check). What's the story behind this? It looks to have been done from the factory but I've never seen anything like it.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
I just looked, i dodnt see anything etched into the windows. Just TOYOTA and TEMPERED, with some other writing.

Where on the windows do you find it?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Some dealers do that as a safety measure when they get high dollar cars on the lot- that way if someone steals the car they can theoretically track the parts back to the source and go all gangbuster on them!

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
You can do it yourself.

http://www.vinetcher.com/

It was done already on my Supra when I got it. And I did it on my Buick Turbo -T when I had it, using the vin etcher kit. It's a good idea to have it done because theoretically you can track the parts when and if the car gets stolen. Knock on wood, I've never had a car stolen, so never had to test it.

Though honestly as I'm typing this, I thought about this. If you're recovering your car part by part, from the vin, it's probably a long shot you're getting back in a salvageable shape.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
fstlane88;1733688 said:
Though honestly as I'm typing this, I thought about this. If you're recovering your car part by part, from the vin, it's probably a long shot you're getting back in a salvageable shape.

True. And, I have never seen anyone running around checking all Supras glass to be sure the VIN's are correct, searching for a stolen car's number.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
its almost standard on most new cars now, gm, ford and crysler also have the vin on a sicker attached to the bumpers, fenders, hood, doors etc.

its used for 2 ways. 1 if its stolen and taken to a chop shop, and 2 it shows if the car has been in a accident, as vin stickers will be missing, or different.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
There are VIN stickers and etchings all over my car... that's part of the reason I found out that my door is from an 87 turbo. :p

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
RazoE;1734173 said:
My 92 has my VIN etched all over the place, so atleast I know no window has ever been broken...

All the broken glass I found in my driver side door indicated that mine had been haha... Hmm. Strangely, my driver side door (that was the side of the T-boning long before my time), you have to hold the handle up when you close the door to lock it, like the 87's. VIN number etched into the window returns a search of an 87... why then would there be broken glass in my door? Prior to being on my car, the window was shattered, then had the VIN etched into it when the glass was replaced? All I can think of...

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
My 89 had some stupid number (YUL3983) etched everywhere. All glass, wheels, tail lights. It was even scribed (by hand) into every accessible engine component. AFM, valve covers, abs cover, brake booster, cam gear cover....

It was a bitch (especially the corner glass and hatch) to do away with everything, but the car is now free from that number. ugh.