Views on Open Carry

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
I have been pondering buying a firearm since i turned 21 and since i now have a job i can afford the classes and hopefully a decent firearm, i live in Va which is an open carry state but i am wondering if it is worth dealing with the hassling i might get from the general public and police.I know there different laws for different state's but whats your opinion on open carry/concealment? i am thinking i might want to go concealment until i learn a little bit more about gun laws and my rights as an american so i don't get them violated by the police.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Here in TN, open carry isn't a big deal. I've talked to a lot of people about it, and very few have had people say anything negative.

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
ifyouaint1sturlast;1844996 said:
In general I think people feel threatened when they see a firearm. Personally I'm going for conceal because I don't want to have that affect on people.

my thoughts exactly since i will be new to carrying a weapon i think may conceal like i said until i receive a little more knowledge on my rights and gun safety. i will browse some Va open carry forums and read some of there stories.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Personally, I'd only do concealed carry around town. Open carry draws unwanted attention and doesn't necessarily add benefit. It may act as an active deterrent, but it may also make you target #1 when the bank robber sees you in line before they open fire.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
after some more reading about other persons open carry experiences i have decided to go with concealment just for the fact i am not really a people person and don't like dealing with people, now the fun part comes when i get to choose what i want to carry. I really like the Glock 19 and most people say that's an excellent weapon for a first timer i just need to see how big it is because i don't really want a huge gun flopping around in my hand, plus i think there around 500-700 dollars where as i am looking to spend 300-450 not including all the extra's plus i need to find a comfortable holster.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Seeing a pedestrian with a side arm on his/her hip in a holster doesn't bother me one bit. As a matter of fact I would feel alot safer knowing that some nearby has the ability to stop a criminal if need be. I don't carry mine cause I don't have CCL yet.

Personally, I wouldn't open carry. It would be to easy for someone to sneak up behind you,I' knock the shit out of you with a tire iron, and take your weapon. I'd rather conceal carry.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Avicii;1845114 said:
after some more reading about other persons open carry experiences i have decided to go with concealment just for the fact i am not really a people person and don't like dealing with people, now the fun part comes when i get to choose what i want to carry. I really like the Glock 19 and most people say that's an excellent weapon for a first timer i just need to see how big it is because i don't really want a huge gun flopping around in my hand, plus i think there around 500-700 dollars where as i am looking to spend 300-450 not including all the extra's plus i need to find a comfortable holster.

Save your money, go to your range and rent a few different pistols to shoot. See what the range has in Sig 1911's. Reason I say save your money is because you should consider a Sig 1911 RCS, either two tone or nitron. 45ACP w/ a 4.2" barrel. Should be able to buy a new one for around $1100. Very nice concealed carry pistol.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Avicii;1845114 said:

Save your money, go to your range and rent a few different pistols to shoot. See what the range has in Sig 1911's. Reason I say save your money is because you should consider a Sig 1911 RCS, either two tone or nitron. 45ACP w/ a 4.2" barrel. Should be able to buy a new one for around $1100. Very nice concealed carry pistol.

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
SWD Fredester 3;1845167 said:

do you think a revolver is more new user friendlier than a semi auto? cleaning, shooting/reloading, repairing. and how about accuracy? i see a lot of debate going on about that and it looks like it all comes down to the user.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Depends where you're going to carry. Revolvers are wide. The 1911 is a large gun, but it's actually thinner than a Glock, so it can be more comfortable to carry.

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
Poodles;1845200 said:
Depends where you're going to carry. Revolvers are wide. The 1911 is a large gun, but it's actually thinner than a Glock, so it can be more comfortable to carry.

i will carry any and everywhere i go unless it is against state law, government buildings, school etc i want to get in the habit of carrying it like my wallet never leaving the house with out it. Plus i live in wooded area's so my friends and i like to go target shooting every know and then :D

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
Crazy story that just happened and making me think a little harder about buying a gun, 6/3/2012 3:50 am and i am sitting here watching 21 jump st ( good movie ) and i hear this commotion down in the front of our apartment's between a male and female arguing, then i hear her say "why are you trying to fight me" then she says "why do you have a knife" and then she scream's for him to stop, now i don't know if she was doing this out of fear of getting cut or if she was being stabbed so i jumped up dialed 911 (first time ever!) and told them what was going on, i live not even 2 minutes from the police station so they arrived fast but the people had already went inside and of course no one wanted to talk but this little experience got my heart racing lol.

now i know i did the right thing calling 911 but would you have done anything different? what if she was getting stabbed to death? if i had a gun should i have went and helped until the police arrived? these are the type of situation's i was just thinking about and its scary to know it can happen anytime anywhere and i have a split second to decide do i help or do i sit there. i have no problem protecting myself or any of my family but a stranger? i don't want to be a hero but i don't want anyone to get hurt either, this has really got me thinking now.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Avicii;1845190 said:
do you think a revolver is more new user friendlier than a semi auto? cleaning, shooting/reloading, repairing. and how about accuracy? i see a lot of debate going on about that and it looks like it all comes down to the user.

Glocks are pretty awesome for new users due to the minimum of moving parts, durability, reliability, and ease of use (ie no normal safety switch because of their design). My friend is an asst. Manager at a local gun shop and swears by them - she got me hooked after I got used to her Glock 19, but I like how the 17 fits my bigger hand better (she's 5'1" and 97lbs, so really small hands and she prefers the compact). Not to mention a few more rounds in the clip, and fairly cheap for a gen 4 Glock ($550-ish brand new).

As for open carry, I plan on it as soon as I get one. It's a right that people should exercise, but of course it comes with responsibility and the need to think before acting stupid.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
There was a decent discussion on Sf about open carrying at a car show. I personally don't agree with it with in a public space.
If you are out hiking or hunting it is appropriate . At a car show, in the mall, walking down the street,then no it isn't. There are provisions that allow for a person to get a CWP. If from some legal reason you cannot get a CWP then you shouldn't be open carrying. If you have a CWP and still open carrying then you are an insecure, immature dolt who is seeking attention through intimidation. I say if you want to legally carry a firearm then get a CWP. Most times the first thought I get when I see a guy open carry is " put the guy down faggot and lets see how tough you really are". I personally have never needed a gun to feel safe or protect my self and I grew up in east delco and west philly.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Avicii;1845201 said:
i will carry any and everywhere i go unless it is against state law, government buildings, school etc i want to get in the habit of carrying it like my wallet never leaving the house with out it. Plus i live in wooded area's so my friends and i like to go target shooting every know and then :D

I meant more where you're going to carry on your person ;) Also, the opinion that revolvers are "more reliable" was proven dead wrong way back in 1911 (if you catch my drift)

Dani87x;1845217 said:
Look at getting a Kimber Ultra for carry.

Not a fan of kimbers for various reasons. One being that at their price point they should have treated barrels...

Nghty89;1845229 said:
Glocks are pretty awesome for new users due to the minimum of moving parts, durability, reliability, and ease of use (ie no normal safety switch because of their design). My friend is an asst. Manager at a local gun shop and swears by them - she got me hooked after I got used to her Glock 19, but I like how the 17 fits my bigger hand better (she's 5'1" and 97lbs, so really small hands and she prefers the compact). Not to mention a few more rounds in the clip, and fairly cheap for a gen 4 Glock ($550-ish brand new).

As for open carry, I plan on it as soon as I get one. It's a right that people should exercise, but of course it comes with responsibility and the need to think before acting stupid.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

While I do like glocks, they are wide and don't fit my hand well (compared to a 1911). Some people also get slide bite from them. Also, the trigger is very much a you like it or you hate it item... Price point, there's a tons at that price point that are just as reliable.

You need to get guns in your hand to see what fits you, then fire them of course since they might feel nice until fired.

mattsplat72;1845252 said:
There was a decent discussion on Sf about open carrying at a car show. I personally don't agree with it with in a public space.
If you are out hiking or hunting it is appropriate . At a car show, in the mall, walking down the street,then no it isn't. There are provisions that allow for a person to get a CWP. If from some legal reason you cannot get a CWP then you shouldn't be open carrying. If you have a CWP and still open carrying then you are an insecure, immature dolt who is seeking attention through intimidation. I say if you want to legally carry a firearm then get a CWP. Most times the first thought I get when I see a guy open carry is " put the guy down faggot and lets see how tough you really are". I personally have never needed a gun to feel safe or protect my self and I grew up in east delco and west philly.

With what your "first thought" is, I'd say you're the insecure and immature dolt. Open carry is a right, and sometimes it's just too damn uncomfortable to conceal. It can also be next to impossible (kinda hard to conceal carry in a bathing suit).