Videos of good running Supras

I've been having problems with a weird tapping noise that seems to be coming from my engine for ages now, and after looking up some Supra videos on youtube and listening to them, it seems 7Ms are noisy in general. I've seen a bunch of videos where the same exact noise is present! I still don't really trust that my engine is ok (I'm very paranoid), so does anyone have videos of their good running Supras idling?

I'm looking for a 7M-GTE in particular but figure if everyone posts up videos of their Supras that they know for sure are running without issues other members can reference them when they're worried about noises :)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I was like...why is this guy spinning his video camera around! Then I realized that you had the camera mounted on to your steering wheel! :biglaugh:

Dizzzzzzzzy..... :)

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
I believe the noise you are refering to are your valves/lifters. my car makes the same sounds at idle, its just how the motor sounds. nothing wrong with it.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
suprafanatic;1266893 said:
I believe the noise you are refering to are your valves/lifters. my car makes the same sounds at idle, its just how the motor sounds. nothing wrong with it.

Yeah... hard to tell from his description alone... and SOMEWHERE I have SOUND CLIPS that are from a full walk-around of the car... and you can REALLY hear the valvetrain well in that clip! Couldn't find it, so I went with the run thru the gears!:biglaugh:

I would want to HEAR it before I said it's completely "normal"... any chance you can post a clip of it?

-crisp

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
suprafanatic;1266893 said:

+1 Valve train noise is normal on 7m. I can hear mine while sitting in the drivers seat. Sometimes I have to tune my ears out from listening for abnoralities. I get super paranoid to sometimes, even if its normal. :aigo:

I've been trying to get videos up for a while, I can't seem to get my cell phone to cooperate :( I've got the valvetrain noise (along with a belt squeak once in a while and throw out bearing noise and other assorted minor noises), but there's also this deeper tapping that sounds louder when I put my head underneath the car behind the front wheels that sort of worries me.

A lot of Supras in videos seem to have it but I can't be sure those cars didn't die 5k miles later or something :)

Haha I like the clip! "I think it sounds pretty good...." *rev*

I did hear it a little bit on your car too, but mine's louder :( From what I gathered in your build thread you've never had a rod knock or anything though right? Perhaps it is just the valvetrain... though I hear both valves "ticking" and this "clacking" too. I think I might have finally gotten a video converter so I can get some videos up of mine.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
rtrdpenguin;1267043 said:
http://www.facebook.com/v/56104698387

This is a small snippet that I finally got online in working order. Amazing how difficult it is to upload videos from a Verizon phone! :3d_frown:

Anyway, the sound is quite loud in the video. It's the clacking sort of noise :cry:

That took awhile to load, but I listened to it over and over, and it's really hard to tell because the sound is so "digital" on the phone... but I think your valve noise is NOT entirely normal. Further, I'm wondering if there's a "spit" sound in there somewhere... i.e.: either STICKING valve or LEAK on the exhaust side somewhere. Is the Turbo Flange-to-exhaust manifold TIGHT? If it's a little loose, you will hear a "louder" valvetrain noise, AND bleed-off exhaust pressure under boost. Maybe in the DP area?

Sorry if I'm way off, but that's the best I could "guess" from that clip.

G/L!

-crisp

Yeah, my phone isn't exactly great and uploading it just makes it worse :( But you're right, there's a noise that's sounds different than the main valvetrain static.

I have new helicoiled studs and new gaskets on the exhaust manifold, turbo, and downpipe. I do have a divorced downpipe so a tiny bit of exhaust leaks through the wastegate pipe, but that's a deeper sound. Next time I get back to the Supra I'll double check all the torque values though just in case :)

I'll try to get the other videos up, they might end up better if I can get a good converter and better file hosting.

edit: the only way I can get them to upload is through emailing the video so they're still bad quality :( if anyone doesn't mind having a listen I put up about 7 of them here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1267241#post1267241

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Man it's pretty tough to tell; but, I definitely think something is abnormally loud.

My 87 developed a rod knock and I just dropped the subframe and replaced the rod bearings. Two were knocking; but, I caught it waaaay early and the engine survived. THAT is a RARE occasion!

I'm chasing a new noise on my 91 also. I followed SupraCentral's suggestions in his sig and shorted out one plug at a time using a 12v tester. They're like 8 bucks at any Walmart.

It was VERY easy to do and what you're looking to see is if the sound goes away as you short out each plug. If your sound doesn't go away, then there's a chance it's not a rod knock. If the sound does go away, then likely you've got a rod knock, or similar, in that particular cylinder.

Helicoils very well could be your problem too. If you inspect your exhaust manifold gasket and head right at the mating surface of the exhaust manifold, do you see any signs of leakage? Black soot or oil?

Try posting a vid with the hood up and rev while under the hood.

Spark plug wire pulling made little difference (noise still there) which is why I even risked driving it at all. I don't know about the exhaust leak.... it did leak before due to the stripped studs but with the helicoils in place I torqued everything down to specs with new OEM gaskets. The exhaust side in general is pretty loud due to the DDP leaking a bit of exhaust through the wastegate tube but the tapping doesn't seem to be from there :(

Chances are next time I have time with the car I'll take the cams out and make sure everything's all right there (and try adjusting the valves for the 4th time... they're actually quieter than before but still make noise) and I'll have a pretty good view of the exh. mani :)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Yeah, my tapping was still there when I shorted each one out too.

I am also about to pull the valve covers and check for loose cam caps and check valve clearances.

Well, good luck man. Let us know what you find!

Last edited:

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
My 90t definitely has a tick. Most easily heard when the hood is up. Recently it got louder and louder and became a putt-putt. Popped the hood on it yesterday with it running, determined my downpipe has a leak in it. Second time in 18 months!

I don't ever remember my two 87 NAs ticking though. In fact, my blue one was so quiet you had to stand right next to it to hear it idle. That engine was stock, 126k miles.

Is ticking a GTE phenomena?