(video) ALMOST DONE. cam and valve noises

ehletitrain

Sweet Talker
Aug 6, 2009
Downey, CA
www.facebook.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJlwEMrdodQ&sns=em

I bought an engine and tool it to a shop to do a swap. But I got the car like this. I have no idea what's going on. The engine has 2mm larger valves and hks adjustable Cams. The noises are comming from the right cam and the front valve. There's no boost. It just makes a weird noise. I was told that the waste gate might just be stuck. But I don't know. I put ALL. Those upgrades while I was doing the swap so I haven't even felt the difference yet between those upgrades and stock :'( any help will be greatly appreciated

Ps. I'm a noob Bahahaha

turbotom88

Supra or nothing!!!
Dec 25, 2009
up state N.Y
i had a similar noise on one of my supra's once, turned out to be the bolts in the rear timing cover worked out and were rubbing on the cam gears.... try to see if there are any metal shavings near there.......

ehletitrain

Sweet Talker
Aug 6, 2009
Downey, CA
www.facebook.com
IJ.;1532524 said:
2mm bigger valves huh?

I'm willing to put $ on it it's not valvetrain noise.....
(unless the oil feed to the head is 100% blocked and it's slowly eating itself)

im only going by what the guy i bought the engine from said. i dnt care if its not cuz i just want my car to work.

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

thank you so much. im going to check asap. i work from 9-6 everyday so ill prob be checking at night.

the noise was out of no where. when it was first done it never did the noise but not it does out of no where. my pockets are pretty deep so i can buy w,e it needs.

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
Theres a little tool you can buy from your local autoparts store,
i forget the name of it, something scope? where you stick it anywhere on
your engine and listen through the other end. this will give you a general
idea of the exact spot thats making the noise.

Alot of times your regular ear cant do the job.

If anything start tightning random bolts in that area, could be just
something hitting something else as turbotom said.

Someone chime in on the name of the part?

And dont give up so quick man...

ehletitrain

Sweet Talker
Aug 6, 2009
Downey, CA
www.facebook.com
i have the money to fix it believe me. i just never was fond of throwing away money. i feel towing a car is always throwing away cuz you can find a friend with a truck or w.e.

trust me i never gave up on my supras. its just frustrating and im sure everyone has been through that.

i did what you told me to do with the stethoscope and the sound is comming from behind the cam gears were that thin aluminum plate is separating the cam gears and the valve covers.

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
ehletitrain;1534901 said:
i have the money to fix it believe me. i just never was fond of throwing away money. i feel towing a car is always throwing away cuz you can find a friend with a truck or w.e.

trust me i never gave up on my supras. its just frustrating and im sure everyone has been through that.

i did what you told me to do with the stethoscope and the sound is comming from behind the cam gears were that thin aluminum plate is separating the cam gears and the valve covers.

I've got my block completely stripped down and i really dont see anything it could be hitting
to make a noise external wise...

And you say you brought it home from the shop with it making those noises? why?!
I'f i were you i'd go back and tell them what its been doing...
I know most of the time they wont do anything after you leave the shop but you
seriously shouldnt have left, you paid for a engine swap + upgrades not engine swap + upgrades + bugs to be fixed...

Last edited:

ehletitrain

Sweet Talker
Aug 6, 2009
Downey, CA
www.facebook.com
nono your right about the shop but it was not their fualt because i bought the engine off this other guy that "built" the engine. so i brought the engine and they installed it. the problem was they took months and months to install it. but it wasnt making any noise when i first turned it on. it just wasnt building up boost. so this came later, i just havent had the time to look for help.