Vibrant Exhaust Systems..something quieter?

ocerrahyan

Feb 13, 2009
maryland
Hi,
I have a 92 Turbo with a 1jz. I currently have a full 3inch Apexi N1 Canister style exhaust...Problem is.. its loud. My truck is my DD but i want to take the Supra out sometimes and enjoy it more often but the noise has finally caught up with me..yep you guessed it, got pulled over and harrassed by a cop. I registered my supra as a historic vehicle so the exhaust is fine and legal, but really i cant stand the drone.

Im over the whole canister style and want to go back to the dual tip. Plus the Vibrant muffler is available ALL BLACK and with a 3 inch inlet with dual tips.

A)Do any of you run this setup maybe with the vibrant resonator

and

B)Is this quieter that the Apexi that I have? and if so, how much would you think?

I run a big single dyno'd at 380 and would like to keep the flow of a true 3 inch but the Raptor Racing system is a little pricey for me at the moment (no disrespect to RR) but my mortgage is priority. Im on a slight budget so if this is do-able please enlighten me. I'd love to hear your guys' opinion but you know what im looking for
A little less noise, A lot less drone and something that is budget friendly. My wife rides with me sometimes on the weekends and we both can barely hear eachother.

If not, please tell me your current setups and Ill certainly consider them.

thanks in advance,

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
The vibrant streetpower muffler is much smaller than I had initially thought, and I have a 3.5" version. If you want to be rid of drone, I might suggest trying one of them as the muffler, and another one as the resonator (much like tanabe does with their medallion touring exhaust) I had a hyper medallion system and even though it stepped down to 2.75" in the muffer/resonator I was still able to make 564 with it. Don't worry too much about 3" all the way through ;)

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I should add- what is you projected budget for this exhaust project? That would help greatly in people making suggestions :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
HKS Sport (looks damn near stock), sounds great when you get on it, nice and quiet when you don't. I'd say it's about the most balanced exhaust you can get overall.

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-let-t16.php

That said, the Tanabe is another good option I've heard. Nice and tolerable noise level, but opens up to a nice growl when you poke the loud pedal. :)

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
I am running a Vibrant dual tip 3" muffler and reasonator on my 89. No drone. It's aggressive sounding but quiet while cruising. No FART CAN sound!

p1824626_1.jpg

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
The exhaust I just built for mine is drone free and quiet, but still sounds nice. I started with a $120 ebay fartcan special 3" system and added a dynomax 3" race bullet near the driveshaft as a resonator, and then cut the fartcan off cause it was still too loud and replaced it with a 4x9" oval center/offset Jones "full boar" Max Flow SS muffler ($45). It's a full straight through system, but it doesn't sound like one. It also looks like a stock exhaust (they even sell a dual tip muffler, but I used a single tip). Check my recent threads list for pictures.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you don't currently have a resonator you could just add one. Should get rid of the drone.