VGT turbo

notallstock

May 21, 2006
Colorado
I have heard of a variable gerometry turbos. Most of these are being used on desiel engines. Garrett has made several of them but Shelby was the one company to use it. I have searched the internet for one but cannot find one. If someone can tell me what other companies make vgt turbos I would be most greatful.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
They aren't very common, but yes - the Dodge Daytona Shelby edition, Turbo III motor, used a VNT turbo (variable nozzle turbine, same thing as what you are talking about)

I'm VERY surprised we haven't seen more VNT turbos on the market.

Imagine a 67+mm turbo on a 7M, spooling like the stock CT26, if you planted the throttle.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The new Porsche engine uses a similar setup, only it's a variable vanes instead of nozzle.

500hp with full spool by 1500 rpm would be awfully damn nice! Well, as long as you have traction control, I guess.

All the others I've seen are built for diesel engines, which have much lower EGTs. Rumor is that these wouldn't hold up under the EGTs you'd see in a gasoline engine. And I haven't seen any long term durability information on the one that Porsche is using... I wouldn't be in the least surprised to find out Porsche was willing to label the turbo a 'wear item' in their quest for power.

notallstock

May 21, 2006
Colorado
For one thanks for all posts. I didnt think many people would be interested. Porsche has some new heat resistant material for the fins. Right now its a trade secret. Right now the vgts that are made are for desiels. Hopefuly when Porsche's patent runs out we will have a vgt turbo for our cars too.
Or the other turbo companies figure out ho to do it.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
GrimJack;958685 said:
The new Porsche engine uses a similar setup, only it's a variable vanes instead of nozzle.

500hp with full spool by 1500 rpm would be awfully damn nice! Well, as long as you have traction control, I guess.

My brother drove an 07 porsche. Said the spool wasn't that much of a difference than my Supra........

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
http://www.supracentral.com/private/tf08/

;)

Compared to a stock CT-26:

MVC-917S.JPG

Sigh... So many projects, so little time...

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
I write manuals for these things all day long.

The leader in VGT (variable geometry turbine) turbo chargers is Holset.

That being said, you'd be blown away at the controls required to actually make these things work.

Great idea, but for now, the tuning and controls are lacking unless its on an OEM setup such as a large diesel engine.

bigboost7m

Apr 20, 2005
Center Line, MI
I believe Borg-Warner makes a VNT turbo, could be mistaken though. Is there anyway you can convert a conventional turbo to one with VNT? Probably not cost effective, but its an idea.

Amontgomery

not so sad 10psi
Apr 1, 2008
Cleveland, MS
I think Honda/Acura uses a VGT on their turbo SUV/crossover. I could be mistaken but I think I read a writeup on it a few years back when it was in prototype stage, they could have changed it between near production prototype and actual production model.

Amontgomery

not so sad 10psi
Apr 1, 2008
Cleveland, MS
I appologize, that is what I was thinking about. Like I said it had been a while and I knew it had something to do with shifting turbo size and flow but I couldn't remember exactly what it was or even where I read it.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
WELL NEX TIEM U NEED 2 LEARND HARDER

lol jk...I've only seen it in a magazine or something once, briefly. Only Honda related thing I've ever been remotely interested in. The tech of it was also mentioned similarly in the instance of actual VGT turbos. I did more research on it to find out if it really was one; to this day, AFAIK, the only three gasoline cars with VGT turbos were the Shelby CSX (google it) and the 911 turbo/GT2. However, as time goes on and technology continues to progress, they are inevitably going to be far more widely available. It is my firm belief (as well as a high up SAE prez) that turbos will be as common one day on gas cars as they are diesels

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Orion ZyGarian;1009067 said:
It is my firm belief (as well as a high up SAE prez) that turbos will be as common one day on gas cars as they are diesels
I don't understand why they don't develop a hydraulic booster for the center section to help with low RPM spool.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
The shaft is delicate and balanced. I've seen tests of electrically assisted turbos that work great with magnets on the blades, but are a big drain on the charging system, so you have to let it charge up. I believe it was a permanent magnet brushless motor, but I'm not an electrical engineer, just mechanical. Its feasible, but unlikely and expensive. We are much better off with direct injection and higher static compression ratios. Turbine technology will continue to grow and get more efficient. Also, twin entry/twin scroll is helpful