Very strange pistons!!

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
i thought there was somethin funny goin on with those gte pistons LOL

well... i dunno how it would happen on an na
here's the 1j piston, i brightened and screwed with the contrast as the pic was pretty dark
1jzpiston.jpg

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
StefanLarsson said:
But it's a NA, can't be that common with detonation on a NA...
why not if my understanding of detonation is correct it occurs when the fuel to air is eather to rich or to lean causing it to eather burn to hot or for the combustion to expolde at the wrong time. to it could happen with any engine its just more common with forced injection

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
StefanLarsson said:
But it's a NA, can't be that common with detonation on a NA...

Can happen in any engine. A high compression NA can detonate easily. Or if there is carbon build up. Or physical damage causing a sharp edge to become a hot spot. It's just easier for it to happen with a turbo car since people can mess with the boost.

silent_sniper said:
why not if my understanding of detonation is correct it occurs when the fuel to air is eather to rich or to lean causing it to eather burn to hot or for the combustion to expolde at the wrong time. to it could happen with any engine its just more common with forced injection

Not really.

The air/fuel mixture in your motor BURNS, it does not explode. When it does explode, things tend to break. That's detonation.

It explodes in a diesel, that's why they sound like they do, and why they are built so much heavier. A diesel is detonating all the time.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
omfg guys!
It's FOD. Whether it was caused by detonation, or what, the damage incurred is from bits of metal rooting around in there.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
PorterzSupra said:
I just did the HG on a JDM motor that came in. There are very strange gouges in the tops of the pistons and head. Looks like somethin flew in there and went crazy idk take a look
I've seen that before ( on my engine) it's sparkplug cermaics.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
first impression looks like a spark plug electrode broke off and bounced around, but since its concentrated on the flat part of the piston seems as though it could be detonation because thats where what i believe is called the "squish" would be in the cylinder and if detonation would have occured i would guess thats where it would have been.

Also if it was mechanical i would assume the marks would be anywhere the particle contacted the piston/head not just on the flat portions.

Then again theres damage to the valves indicating mechanical damage so who knows.

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
Supracentral said:
Not really.

The air/fuel mixture in your motor BURNS, it does not explode. When it does explode, things tend to break. That's detonation.

It explodes in a diesel, that's why they sound like they do, and why they are built so much heavier. A diesel is detonating all the time.

oh ok thx SC

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
I got my N/A from Japan...it was in really good shape. You could still see the swirl marks on the Cyl.walls from the factory and there was NO oil residue on or around the valve covers. I've had that type of damage in my old N/A engine....it happened when i didn't gap the plugs and ran the hell out of it too lean and cheap gas. Detonation w/my rings melting and spark plugs leaving my engine.

Still to this day i cant figure out why all of that happened all at once :dunno:

I wish i still had the pictures too

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
those marks look identical to the marks made by the bearing on the rod knock moto i just bought, the head wasn't damgaged that bad bu the block had gotten a scrape, and the piston had some work.. rings looked good still..
any ways, have you pulled the oil pan off? or changed to oil to exame it?

MmmBoost

DDS Performance
that definitely detonation, same thing i saw on my old car when i turboed it.

lemme guess, cylinder 6? on my supra the piston only on #6 looks like that, im guessing thats from the hot spot created by the egr and no coolant passages.

ovenrude

Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis
Yeah def. looks like there was some metal and metal grinding going on. 6000+ rpms with metal chunks = a damn fast sander.

Sell them as some strange form of modern art.