Very strange pistons!!

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
I just did the HG on a JDM motor that came in. There are very strange gouges in the tops of the pistons and head. Looks like somethin flew in there and went crazy idk take a look

Attachments

• 100_1437.JPG
    100_1437.JPG
    354.5 KB · Views: 232
  • 100_1438.JPG
    100_1438.JPG
    354.4 KB · Views: 188

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
That's mechanical impact...where there any chunks missing on the turbo compressor wheel?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
jdub said:
That's mechanical impact...

Agreed.

At the very least that stuff needs to be smoothed out, sharp edges in combustion chambers create hotspots and cause detonation.

Probably a screw, nut or bolt went through the motor.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
PorterzSupra said:
It is a NA, it was not just a nut or bolt, it affected 4 pistons

That's nasty. A lot of debris had to go through that motor to make that much of a mess.

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
I was going to suggest a broken spark plug - Broken ceramic or electrode. 4 cylinders though... Yikes! How do the cylinder walls look?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Proof that just because it's a JDM motor, doesn't mean that it's going to be a good, low mileage, high compression tested engine that will be reliable. This could happen to any engine, be it american 7M or JDM ones. I still can't figure out what the hell it was though that caused that mess...

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
I have installed a few JDM motors from various dist and all of them are like that and there is ALOT of sludge in the pans and sometimes rust on the cranks and connecting rods. They dont really compression test them because on the NA you have to remove the intake Y pipe and TB and they are all in stock attatchment when you get them. Sometimes you get better ones, usually you can tell by the paint on the valve covers and the condition of the inside of the valve covers (amount of sludge and oil stain) and the amount of oil residue on the outside of the motor. Using that you can guess the approx cond and milage and compression testing also helps further.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Detonation doesn't put dents in pistons and/or valves. It might crack them, but not that. Could be detonation broke a spark plug, but detonation in and of itself doesn't create damage like that.

StefanLarsson

Viking
Jun 26, 2006
Sweden
Ric said:
lolz timing belt musta broke jk

As far as I can recall the pistons don't hit the valves if the timingbelt snaps in a 7M...
My vote is also on mechanical damage, some crap went in to the motor...

Last edited: