Very dump question. E 85 ?

turbodriz

mk3 onwer
Feb 25, 2006
newyork....N.c
It seems to me that alot of guys are trying it. It seems to be ...... I don't know what it is so let me know , what the hell is e85 fuel? Sorry for being so lost but I just don't know what it is.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Please correct me if I'm wrong about this (and most likely I am), I thought that a car could only use E85 if it were manufactured to run on it.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Moy;1127919 said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong about this (and most likely I am), I thought that a car could only use E85 if it were manufactured to run on it.

Yea, its not the same as regular gasoline. You can adapt your car to run on it though. (requires fuel system/fuel tuning modifications)

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I imagine I would have to run a piggyback or standalone to be able to do this. If I were to adapt my system to be able to use E85, would my car still be able to run on regular pump gas?

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
The gas down here is maiximum 10% ethanol and my DD gets less miles per gallon (confirmed) and slightly less horsepower (never dyno's that but trust me its already a POS so you notice it).

It made a great sales campaign for GM junk - you'll see the "flex fuel" written on overpriced vehicles.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
the failure of math is depressing.....

Running E85 since 2005 (before it was a twinkle in this or any other "turbo" forums eyes).

The quickest way to run E85. Increase the fuel injectors sizing by 30% (assuming that you have a GOOD WORKING ORDER FUEL SYSTEM MEANING NEW FUEL PUMP).

So a bit of math.....

400cc/min * 30% = 132cc/min.
400cc/min + 132cc/min = 572cc/min. So closest is a 550cc/min injectors. Well within O2 feed back control of the ecu.

The bad part about this. If you run gasoline you will be pig rich throughout the entire RPM and Load range.

as for sales campaing. MPG was a bad approach.

A replacement for race fuel short of C16 for the cost of 87 octane water (that is what is going to happen once the $.50 subsidy a gallon is gone) it is still a deal when compared to a gallon of VPImport C12 at nearly $12 a gallon ;)

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
If I was to convert my Arist 2JZ to E85 and got it reff'd, would it be able to pass CA smog? Or would I still get knocked for no EGR?

Collin

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
got_boosted;1128233 said:
If I was to convert my Arist 2JZ to E85 and got it reff'd, would it be able to pass CA smog? Or would I still get knocked for no EGR?

Collin

Cali does two tests.

One is visual and the other is the sniffer. No EGR, Somehow I think they will see that and fail you (if they know about the 1j not being a US motor, a simple EGR will definetly get caught). So you will get dinged for No EGR.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Moy;1128071 said:
I imagine I would have to run a piggyback or standalone to be able to do this. If I were to adapt my system to be able to use E85, would my car still be able to run on regular pump gas?

You would need a minimum of a piggyback, or as figgie said, just adjusting the fuel pressure would work. You'd just have to adjust it back when you run on regular gasoline.

Like figgie said, its cheap racegas! I hope we get a pump here soon :(