Vented hood

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
dude4253;1211400 said:
Make it look like this
2008-Dodge-Viper-ACR-YOUR_1412055_0.jpg

Wouldn't be able to get the center scoop as close to the front edge of the hood.Our hood latch is in the way(viper hoods open towards the front)That,and I really don't want to cut into any more bracing underneath.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
RazoE;1211562 said:
Only 1st gen vipers open forward, the 2nd gens open normally...

Was unaware of that (damn I learned two things today.) Either way our latch is still in the way of having the scoop that far forward,not to mention having to cut more bracing.The viper hood is a little more aggressive look than I wanted also.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
toy fanatic78;1211457 said:
My car will rarely see any rain.That's What I own the cressida's for.My supra is in no way intended to be my DD

Ok fair enough but you wash it..right? ;) J/K

Still not personal style but it's what makes people unique, having different tastes. :icon_bigg

Duane

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
upgradedsupra;1211618 said:
Ok fair enough but you wash it..right? ;) J/K

Still not personal style but it's what makes people unique, having different tastes. :icon_bigg

Duane

Man,good call,touche.I'll just have to throw some plastic over my electronics when I wash it.I just wanted something a little more aggressive than stock.It will look a lot better/cleaner when it's done too.IMO any more and it gets borderline ricey(like the stout hood.)And being na w/a header,it should help lower the under hood temps.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
toy fanatic78;1211626 said:
Man,good call,touche.I'll just have to throw some plastic over my electronics when I wash it.I just wanted something a little more aggressive than stock.It will look a lot better/cleaner when it's done too.IMO any more and it gets borderline ricey(like the stout hood.)And being na w/a header,it should help lower the under hood temps.

I cover my whole motor in plastic when I wash mine because of the scoop...

...and I couldn't agree with you more on the stout hood. The only reason why I did mine like I did was because there was a big dent right where the scoop now resides.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
you could have a center scoop as far foward as you want so long as you use a on the top cowl looking peice....you couldn't vent to the engine till past the latch but might get the desired effect if done right.....to much for me though.

john

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
jester1341;1212177 said:
you could have a center scoop as far foward as you want so long as you use a on the top cowl looking peice....you couldn't vent to the engine till past the latch but might get the desired effect if done right.....to much for me though.john
The bracing is more of what I would be worried about cutting into,and I feel the same as it IMO would be too much.

alloyguitar;1212179 said:
Mine starts about two inches past the beginning of the hood, iirc. That's about as far forward as I could go.
Do you have any pics?

supraman7mgte;1212182 said:
Very nice lookin hood!
Thank you.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
mk3design;1212163 said:
Not done yet..

hood%20006.jpg

I like that too.Looks good.That is one of the other ways I considered making the cuts on mine(not in the center,but the way you actually CUT your openings.)I braced mine a bit different though,I will try to post some more pics tuesday.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
toy fanatic78;1212190 said:
Do you have any pics?

Not any good ones. It may be more like four inches.

It's kinda hard to tell in these photos where it starts (both because I hated the camera I was shooting with and because of bodywork), but because mine is a forward-facing scoop, the core support doesn't interfere with it...

...although, because the opening is so large, it pretty much sits on the motor.

l_ba3263bbfbfaf01fb5b77050c9a0e208.jpg

l_c6f173b6ba4f59a2e32fe033e6a173c7.jpg

l_d55c2ad119850b92a3cbfd56588e24cb.jpg

l_8b3186aac64d4d0198fda2638c518ece.jpg

I haven't decided if I like it yet. I really just did it because I started it a few years ago and it was just sitting outside the garage bugging me, so I had to finish it.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
I had seen these pics in your thread,didn't realize it was yours.I was referring to the style of scoop that is on the viper,the opening is probably ~8" further forward on the viper,in which case I think would interfere with the latch/bracing a bit much.IMO your hood looks pretty good too,maybe tack something under the top edge of the scoop to brace a little.Have you driven with it,does it move going down the road?

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
I'm going to put mesh on the inside of it, then use the door protector stripping along the top edge to finish it off. I'm considering painting a matte black on the bottom part (like, the part that slopes down), but I'm still up in the air about that.

It doesn't move even a little bit. Or, not noticeably while driving down the road, anyway.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
alloyguitar;1212266 said:
...I'm considering painting a matte black on the bottom part...

That sounds like a good idea. 'toy fanatic78' You sould consider painting the vents on your hood flat black it would definitely be aggressive.

Hope you get a chance to lay down some paint tomorrow, I cant wait.