vapour came from the valve cover

Aug 13, 2005
Alberta
Ok, I was doing a road trip and about half way I stopped to fill up and check the oil. needed to put some in and when I opened the cap some type of vapour was emanating form the oil fill opening. It look like it was coming form the hose that connects to valve covers. Not entirely sure what the vapour was, anything ideas. I just had this rebuilt 5000kms ago. it is solid, but I dont know what this vapour is. I am not losing any coolant, the car is not overheating and I just replaced the radiator cap.

Anything to be conserned of?

Also while I am at it. Since I just had this rebuilt with an HKS metal head gasket, arps at 80ft/lbs super smooth finish on both head and block and all new bearings and seals, new rings and pistons, why can I smell oil burning and am losing some oil. I am not burning any because I had someone follow me and nothing came out, I am not leaking because there is nothing on the driveway or any stains on the engine. but still I am losing some oil.

Help would be much appreciated

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
A rebuild should have taken care of that type of smoking...
It's mainly crankcase vapor from the sound of it which is normal for a run engine. But rebuilding the bottom end should have kept most of that type of smoke from showing up as far as I know. It won't hurt you it that's what you're worried about. Definately burning oil though.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
dammit dustin you broke it already? :arcadefre

this problem disturbs me, and greatly decreases the enjoyment i get from my pastrami sandwich...

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
a little bit seems normal. if you dont loose oil, and you dont loose coolant, and your compression numbers are good, dont worry about it.

Aug 13, 2005
Alberta
stanzaspeed said:
dammit dustin you broke it already? :arcadefre

this problem disturbs me, and greatly decreases the enjoyment i get from my pastrami sandwich...

I did not break it. but seriously go enjoy your pastrami sandwich..... sounds good :icon_bigg

But again I am not putting out any blue smoke. I smell the exhaust from the tail pipe and it is oil free. I can only smeel something in the cabin. I dont know

Aug 13, 2005
Alberta
stanzaspeed said:
maby you are just paranoid dustin :biglaugh:

You not helping the matter much John

And I will admit that I am paranoided. It is a 7M after all, need to keep on top of this or else it will keep on top of your wallet

Aug 13, 2005
Alberta
stanzaspeed said:

now you are blubbering, oh that will help me fix my oil leak.........lol

seriously as to not get too off topic. Any suggestions as to what it could be?

And John did you seriously see blue smoke? I need to know.

Aug 13, 2005
Alberta
JustAnotherVictim said:
I was pretty sure that kind of thing was the bearings and/or the rings. I'm not positive on any others causes so don't go ripping apart the block just yet.

but would not rings because if it were, would the car not smoke something fierce? also the bearing were all redone with the tightest of tolerances. and if they were going I would hear a knock as in rod knock. Plus my mechanic would get a strip ripped off him if it were any of the above.....:nono:

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
nickel and dimed said:
but would not rings because if it were, would the car not smoke something fierce? also the bearing were all redone with the tightest of tolerances. and if they were going I would hear a knock as in rod knock. Plus my mechanic would get a strip ripped off him if it were any of the above.....:nono:
I don't think you would necessarily hear a rodknock first, but like I said those are the first two that come to mind there might be more. Rodknock is from oil starvation not simply from burning oil.

Aug 13, 2005
Alberta
JustAnotherVictim said:
I don't think you would necessarily hear a rodknock first, but like I said those are the first two that come to mind there might be more. Rodknock is from oil starvation not simply from burning oil.

Well, my oil prressure is good. (got a new sensor) and I never let the oil get low so I cant see oil starvation

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
i didn't see any blue smoke at all dustin, even when you left to go down south on sunday.

but if it really is 1 liter every 3k kilometers that don't sound to right to me...

if it were the neon i'd say it was fine... lol

Aug 13, 2005
Alberta
stanzaspeed said:
i didn't see any blue smoke at all dustin, even when you left to go down south on sunday.

but if it really is 1 liter every 3k kilometers that don't sound to right to me...

if it were the neon i'd say it was fine... lol

no rly?? the engine is idleing fine. Like I said no smoke, EGTs are normal, boost is normal, temp is fine, it runs strong.

Could anybody see it being the PCV system??

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
well you were overheating a lil on the way north when you had your ac on... :icon_conf

im sure that was nothing major tho...

Aug 13, 2005
Alberta
stanzaspeed said:
well you were overheating a lil on the way north when you had your ac on... :icon_conf

im sure that was nothing major tho...

Tru only with the AC on tho, with it off it ran just fine. I think it might just be the old radiator, thinking about a PWR. but anyways it is not overheating and i never let the temp rise with the AC on so...